How do I plug a 4-pin fan into a 3-pin plug?

I bought a CPU heatsink and replaced both fans so I could have blue LED ones... And I have the one cooling fan with a 4-pin plug now and I want to plug it into a 3-pin to molex plug then plug it into a molex plug from my power supply and use it as a side panel fan... So how do I do this? I don't mind modifying if I have to.. So heres the order:

4-pin fan plugs into 3-pin cable, that converts it into molex then. plugs into power supply.

How do I get this to work? What colors go where?
6 answers Last reply
More about plug plug
  1. MagnetsNextToMotherboard said:
    I bought a CPU heatsink and replaced both fans so I could have blue LED ones... And I have the one cooling fan with a 4-pin plug now and I want to plug it into a 3-pin to molex plug then plug it into a molex plug from my power supply and use it as a side panel fan... So how do I do this? I don't mind modifying if I have to.. So heres the order:

4-pin fan plugs into 3-pin cable, that converts it into molex then. plugs into power supply.

How do I get this to work? What colors go where?
    You're trying to go from 4-pin to 3-pin to 4-pin again? You never need to do that. If your fan is 4-pin PWM, you can plug a 3-pin to "Molex" adapter to it, since 3-pin and 4-pin PWM are interchangeable.
  2. AGEED, there is an adapter.

Make sure that the fan control actually works (BIOS). My motherboard was set to AUTO but fan control didn't work until I chose "VOLTAGE."
  3. I don't think you guys understand... =/ Ok, there are adapters but I don't want to buy one when I have a 3-pin to molex (Yeah I'm basically trying to go from 4-pin to 3-pin back to 4-pin) I want to use a 3-pin to molex adapter to plug the CPU fan in and put it on my side panel, and I can't just plug it into the CPU fan plug because the cord doesn't reach and it would make my cable management worse and I don't want to do that, even though its a dinky thin little cord.. It still looks ugly with a case window that I'm installing later on... My problem is I don't know exactly how I should plug it in I don't want to plug it in the wrong way so it either goes like this:

|||| |||| Blue, Green, Yellow, Black. So does it matter how I put it in... ?
    ||| or: ||| I'll tell you the colors..
  4. Sorry that diagram failed..

It would go like this the colors from left to right........||||....||||....
    ...................................................................................|||....|||.....
  5. Nevermind.. I should've looked at it closer... I made a moron of myself hahahahaha.... I've only built one computer before and I'm upgrading it now so I don't have a lot of experience.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Power Supplies Fan LED Monitor Overclocking