How do I plug a 4-pin fan into a 3-pin plug?

MagnetsNextToMotherboard

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I bought a CPU heatsink and replaced both fans so I could have blue LED ones... And I have the one cooling fan with a 4-pin plug now and I want to plug it into a 3-pin to molex plug then plug it into a molex plug from my power supply and use it as a side panel fan... So how do I do this? I don't mind modifying if I have to.. So heres the order:

4-pin fan plugs into 3-pin cable, that converts it into molex then. plugs into power supply.

How do I get this to work? What colors go where?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're trying to go from 4-pin to 3-pin to 4-pin again? You never need to do that. If your fan is 4-pin PWM, you can plug a 3-pin to "Molex" adapter to it, since 3-pin and 4-pin PWM are interchangeable.

MagnetsNextToMotherboard

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I don't think you guys understand... =/ Ok, there are adapters but I don't want to buy one when I have a 3-pin to molex (Yeah I'm basically trying to go from 4-pin to 3-pin back to 4-pin) I want to use a 3-pin to molex adapter to plug the CPU fan in and put it on my side panel, and I can't just plug it into the CPU fan plug because the cord doesn't reach and it would make my cable management worse and I don't want to do that, even though its a dinky thin little cord.. It still looks ugly with a case window that I'm installing later on... My problem is I don't know exactly how I should plug it in I don't want to plug it in the wrong way so it either goes like this:

|||| |||| Blue, Green, Yellow, Black. So does it matter how I put it in... ?
||| or: ||| I'll tell you the colors..