I'm Overclocking my CPU as we speak. Any advice for a first timer?

powerfulcrunch

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
It's a new AMD X4 965 on a Asus M2A88T-M.

I'd like to get it to at 4GHz (and beyond if possible). I have a good aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan installed. I'd also like to overclock the memory to 1600MHz.

I would prefer to do this myself in the BIOS as opposed to using the Asus utilities so that I can learn as much as possible.

Can you offer any general advice?

How do I know when and how much to step up the various voltages?

What is LoadLine Calibration?

What is HT Link Speed and HT Link Width?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

z06psi

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Take it slow and let the system settle and test what you did, keep a record of what you adjust and how the system reacts, and get the recommended manufacturer specs for heat and the sort as well.

bk1

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I would take a look at the spreadsheet in the AMD Overclocking club thread thats down below a bit. It will give you an idea of how far you can push your setup. Mine is very similar and it topped out at 3.9GHz.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Just keep an eye on temps and voltages and keep them within a safe range. You'll need to use a torture testing tool like Prime95 to make sure that your overclock is stable. If Prime95 indicates instability then you'll have to raise voltages to compensate. Use RealTemp to keep track of your CPU temps, for a Phenom II you'll want to stay under 60C when your CPU is running Prime95.