Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fastest CPU - High End Media/Gaming

Last response: in CPUs
August 9, 2009 8:27:59 PM

My motherboard died after 3+ years of use, at the time I wasn't into media encoding and gaming, but now I am - Heavily.

I'm thinking I need Quad Core architecture but I'm unsure. I'm also thinking I need Extreme Edition (since I'm an Intel fanboy).

GPU card can be upgraded since I'm looking at a completely revamp, but that's for later. Right now I desperately need advice on mobo and cpu. So specifically, being a Gigabyte fan, what mobo supports your suggestion for a Quad Core CPU?
August 9, 2009 8:45:07 PM

get an i7 920, an Asus P6T(or SE if you don't plan on going SLI, or a Gigabyte UD4P if you really want the gigabyte mobo) and 6GB of ram.

and a Prolimatech Megahalem with two high CFM fans and an extra bracket couldn't hurt either, and that should get you to 4.6GHz with that 920.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 9:00:46 PM

I agree with helloworld_98. Go i7 but don't bother with the Extreme Edition - a 920 D0 stepping will clock up to 4GHz with a good cooler and you can also take the QPI up to match the EEs as well.

If you're doing media-heavy stuff then go NVIDIA for the GPU as a lot of media tools are CUDA-enabled.

I'm using an Asus P6T Deluxe v2 mobo but the Gigabyte UD5 is nice too - both have 2 true PCI-Ex16 slots so you can get 2-way SLI running at full whack. Plus going with socket 1366 gives you a good upgrade path next year with the 6-core i9s.

Also memory timings have shown to be more advantageous for media than faster RAM so grab 12GB of 1600MHz RAM at CAS7 and you should be flying.
Related resources
August 9, 2009 9:19:26 PM

i agree... get the i7 920 the Extreme edition isnt worth it
August 9, 2009 10:31:46 PM

Everyone that replied - Thank you for your advice and input.

LePhuronn said:
I agree with helloworld_98. Go i7 but don't bother with the Extreme Edition - a 920 D0 stepping will clock up to 4GHz with a good cooler and you can also take the QPI up to match the EEs as well.

If you're doing media-heavy stuff then go NVIDIA for the GPU as a lot of media tools are CUDA-enabled.

I'm using an Asus P6T Deluxe v2 mobo but the Gigabyte UD5 is nice too - both have 2 true PCI-Ex16 slots so you can get 2-way SLI running at full whack. Plus going with socket 1366 gives you a good upgrade path next year with the 6-core i9s.

Also memory timings have shown to be more advantageous for media than faster RAM so grab 12GB of 1600MHz RAM at CAS7 and you should be flying.

So based on the consensus combined with my independent research, here's what I'm going with at this point:
  • i7 920
  • EX58-UD5

LePhuronn, or anyone that wishes to add anything, the particular board I'm going with specifies:
  • Support for DDR3 tri-channel 2100+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
    taken from:
    Specs

But would a 1600MHz set of sticks be compatible? I always thought not -- if the specs don't match it, I don't acquire it... even though numerically I'd assume it does since it covers the range 1333 to 2100+.

Much appreciated.
    August 10, 2009 2:45:59 AM

anything above 1333 is ussually supported with an overclock, which you said you will be doing, so if you do get a set of 1600 ram, then it will more than likely clock itself to 1333 at first, but you can either use an XMP value, or do the clocking yourself through the bios
    August 10, 2009 3:17:51 AM

daft said:
    anything above 1333 is ussually supported with an overclock, which you said you will be doing, so if you do get a set of 1600 ram, then it will more than likely clock itself to 1333 at first, but you can either use an XMP value, or do the clocking yourself through the bios

Awesome! Thank you all.
    August 10, 2009 4:29:46 PM

sure thing
    June 14, 2010 4:08:01 PM

Good god this idiot is everywhere ----- MODERATORS HELP!!! Get this guy out of here! (vimal992)

Anonymous
    a b à CPUs
    a b 4 Gaming
    June 14, 2010 5:09:02 PM

CaptainMorgan said:
    My motherboard died after 3+ years of use, at the time I wasn't into media encoding and gaming, but now I am - Heavily.

I'm thinking I need Quad Core architecture but I'm unsure. I'm also thinking I need Extreme Edition (since I'm an Intel fanboy).

GPU card can be upgraded since I'm looking at a completely revamp, but that's for later. Right now I desperately need advice on mobo and cpu. So specifically, being a Gigabyte fan, what mobo supports your suggestion for a Quad Core CPU?

hi i'm a One Hundred Percent Human Race Researcher.

current(2010&June&14) let me tell you AMD with Intel Best personal type architecture processor detail names In Tom's Hardware Sort Of CPU&Components Zone.

* Intel

number one : Core i7 extreme 980X(Gulf Town) Six core(Twelve Threads)

core speed 3.33Ghz most cache memory size is 12 Mega Byte(one die 12MB)

number two : Core i7 extreme 975(Bloom Field) Four core(Eight Threads)

core speed 3.33Ghz most cache memory size is 8 Mega Byte(one die 8MB)

number three : Core2extreme QX9770(York Field) Four core(Four Threads)

Core speed 3.2Ghz most cache memory size is 12 Mega Byte(one die6MB)= 6MB * 6MB = 12MB

number four : Core2Duo E8600(Wolf Dale) Two core(Two THreads)

Core speed 3.33Ghz most cache memory size is 6 MEga Byte(one die6MB)

* AMD

number one : Phenom_II-x6 1090T Black Edition(Thuban) Six Core(Six Threads)

Core speed 3.2Ghz most cache memory size is 6Mega Byte(one die6MB)

number two : Phenomb_II-x4 965 Black Edition(Deneb) Four Core(FourThreads)

Core speed 3.4Ghz most cache memory size is 6Mega Byte(one die6MB)

If you can't used OverClock you will be choice the this processor for the much better playing game with better performance.

But, If you can used OverClock you will be another processor choice.

Example :

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1014682 (GTX285,DDR3 4GB)

**2.66Ghz => 3.9 Ghz(First Get start OverClocked Since 2010&February&13 ~ 2010&June&14)

Remeber that buddy.

Nobuddy won't be impose you.

Because your a just consumer.

By. One hundred percent human race Researcher.

June 14, 2010 6:04:32 PM

Sorry man but all you did was waste your time with this long post. this is a OLD thread. The user who posted before drug it up from the depths of the beyond. I think he is a necrophiliac.!!!!!

On top of that there is a lot in your post that makes NO SENSE AT ALL.
    a b à CPUs
    a b 4 Gaming
    June 14, 2010 7:48:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
    !