PC won't POST

prosibil

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hi there,

Lately I'm experiencing a curious problem with my PC. Sometimes, it wouldn't POST - it powers on, all the coolers still work (these take the power from the motherboard directly), the DVD unit works, but there is no image on the screen (better said no VGA signal), the power led is off and the HDD led is always on (the red led) - and the only thing that apparently solves that problem is a BIOS reset. I said 'apparently' because eventually the problem would appear again several days later. I should mention that I use the graphics card on-board (ASUS M3A78 Pro). I'm curious if there is someone else who did experience this kind of problem in the past and how he/she solved it.

Thanks in advance.
Florin

You can try a new motherboard battery for the bios reset issue. For the powering up, try a different power supply if yours is old. If you list your system specs, you might get more responses.

prosibil

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Specs: Athlon64 X2 5400+, ASUS M3A78 Pro, 2x1GB Adata Vitesta DDR2 800 4-4-4-12, HDD Western Digital 500GB, PSU Sirtec 500W. I would eliminate the PSU as the source of the issue, since the whole system has less than a year and considering my configuration, 500W are enough.

prosibil

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Also, you misunderstood me : the resetting of the BIOS is the only solution I know so far to make the system work again.