What is best for my pc.

medoxas

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
What dual core processor is best for my pc. My computer is :AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+,2.01 GHz Performance Rated at 3.00 GHz,1gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM) (GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM),Video card ram 256,

Motherboard:
Model:NF - CK804
Chpset: NVIDIA nForce4 Rev.A3
Southbridge: MVIDIA nForce4 MCP,
LPCIO ITE IT8712

I am guessing the best is a Toledo based X2. I think it goes up to 4800. But those are around $380-$400 since they are not made anymore.

Its really hard to say since NF - CK804 seems to be a generic based model number that comes up with results for Gigabyte, ASUS and even Foxconn.

Your best bet is to buy a new mobo/CPU that probably wont be as expensive. You can probably get a low end AM2 based dual core or Pentium Dual core and a much better GPU for the price of a 939 dual core CPU.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I completely agree with jimmysmitty it's not worth it and cost effective to upgrade that old socket 939 system.You are much better off building a newer system even if it's a budget one.The system you have is useful as a secondary PC though so you might want to keep it around.I have an older socket 939 system (it was a free gift) that I upgraded to 2 gigabytes of DDR RAM and put in a spare graphics card and it's still useful although obsolete.

medoxas

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Ok so can u tell me what exactly i should get, what motherboard and core. Cuz i dont know much about computer system.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
There are a lot of choices and much has changed over the course of several years
.It depends upon your budget though.If you're looking for a more expensive system (over $1,000 but generally $1,200 or more) many people here have switched to using quad core CPU's especially the super powerful Intel Core i7 920 CPU.

For a Intel inexpensive budget system the Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor is a good choice especially if you desire to overclock it in which case you will want an aftermarket heatsink for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Syzmek listed a great Intel combo deal.I didn't see his post before I posted.Good choice!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are more familiar with AMD's CPU's on a inexpensive budget either of these Phenom II X2's (dual cores) would be fine although the 550 is better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343%201050748055&name=Phenom%20II%20X2
These CPU's have generally replaced the older and slower Athlon X2 line although there is now a Athlon II series now which is less powerful than the Phenom II X2's.
Some people have complained lately that AMD is including a cheaper heatsink and fan than what was included before (a decent copper heatsink and fan) on the Phenom II X2 CPU's.

Even better would be this tri core CPU which would perform better with multitasking and it's quite inexpensive as well.I think that this would be the best choice for you rather than the Phenom II X2's.This CPU is very popular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

And you need a modern AM3 motherboard although these CPU's will work with many previous AM2+ motherboards but a BIOS update is most likely needed if you opt instead for a AM2+ motherboard.
The difference is that the older AM2+ motherboards use DDR 2 type of memory and current AM3 motherboards use DDR 3 memory.AM2+ motherboards will lose support eventually for future CPU's so if you desire to upgrade the CPU in the future it's best to stick with an AM3 type of motherboard.

There are many choices of AM3 motherboards but on a budget I like these types (they are new and inexpensive) and come with great Integrated Graphics.However you don't have to use the Integrated graphics as you can later add in a much better graphics card.
It's just that if you can't afford the discrete graphics card you will at least get the system up and going without out.

This board is micro-ATX sized so it will fit in a small case.Also it's so new I doubt at all that it would need any BIOS update for the X3 720 or the X2 550 CPU since these CPU's came out before this motherboard was released.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130233
Then you will need DDR3 type RAM for it.
Other people will give you suggestions as well.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
No you can't use your old motherboard because it's the wrong socket.
Just save up a little more money.I did see this combo deal on the Intel Pentium dual core E5200 if you're desperate.It comes with a motherboard (People in the review say that it doesn't allow overclocking) and memory.
Combo Price: $168.97
and $15 mail in rebate and another $20 mail in rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.237022

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Well it's up to you but you will still need a case,power supply,hard drive,dvd drive (or burner) and a discrete graphics card (if you don't want to use the poor Integrated Graphics) as well as an operating system (linux is free and you will be able to download the latest final release candidate of Windows 7 soon I think Aug 22,2009 and be able to use it for about 7 months).I wouldn't gut out your current PC to do it though.I think it would be best for you just to save up more money rather than attempt a desperate upgrade.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Oh yeah syzmek picked a good budget choice.On that combo you will also need to add DDR 2 memory.Will it play assassin creed yes but you will want a new discrete video card which will cost you extra bucks as well.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Yes the Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz is a good CPU and the AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz would be a adequate upgrade although the Phenom II X2 550 would be much better.The AMD Phenom 9650 2.3GHz is considered older and the Phenom II series are a lot faster than the first series.
I suggest that you just save up your money and then plan your budget out on which type of parts that you will desire.You might want to read this article to get acquainted
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2359.html
and these CPU charts
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/processors,6.html

Is there a plan here? :p

If you do not want the e5200 combo here is an AMD combo for $158. Biostar 760g / X2 6000+ / 2x2Gb OCZ DDr2 1066MHz <---- (That New Egg 'Compatibility Thang' always skeers me-LOL-I reckon it will be just dandy but you may have to manually set the voltage and timings)

You may upgrade the cpu to a new 95w Phenom when you have the $$$.

edit: I fergit ---- if you are upgrading an 'OEM' computer you will need a new operating system. Snag a download of the Windows 7 RC before it is too late.