Folder Redirection

June 8, 2004 2:09:06 PM

The basic idea that I am attempting, is the seperation
of applications and data. I would like to move user
information to the D:\ drive. I am doing this to make
backing up my data easier.

Eventually, I would like to make the user account
accessible from any computer in my house. I haven't
gotten all the machines yet, so this isn't too important.
I mention it in the event that that there are several
solutions.

I know I want to backup the "My Documents" and "Favorites"
directories. Is there anything else in the
"C:\Documents and Settings\<user>" directory that I "need"
or "should" retain for backup?

I read through the online documentation for folder
redirection. There is references to "Folder Redirection
is located under User Configuration in the Group Policy
console." Well, I don't see it. I start the GPO by
Running gpedit.msc. I have looked through all the folders
and just don't see this option.

What I have done so far is, bring up the Windows Explorer
and right click the "My Documents" and fill in the target
information and then move it.

Questions:
1) Is there a way to set this as a policy? How?
2) Is there a way to redirect the "Favorites" as well?

I am a software engineer and not a Windows Administrator,
any other information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

More about : folder redirection

Anonymous
June 8, 2004 6:12:36 PM

Edit HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell
Folders. You need a domain for Group Policy or run
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\gptext.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\fde.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\scecli.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\ieaksie.dll