Pc Bootup problems

Arkturius

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Ok so one day i left my pc on went to a friends came home the next day and it was dead,so i bought a new power supply, everything works fine except the motherboard wont boot, my PCi-e card only runs its fan every once in a while the processor fan runs, but it wont boot bios,and my lan LED wont turn on when i plug in a ethernet cabel, mouse and keyboard doesnyt work either,it boots the hardware but no bios or peripherals, it wont even display anythihg on the monitor either.
power only turns on and off by PSU switch.

Your symptoms and conclusions together do not make a lot of sense.

Ok so one day i left my pc on went to a friends came home the next day and it was dead,so i bought a new power supply,
System specifcations, including old and new PSU? How old is the system?

everything works fine except the motherboard wont boot,
Then everything is not working fine. What does "motherboard wont boot" mean?

my PCi-e card only runs its fan every once in a while the processor fan runs,
OK.

but it wont boot bios,
Do you mean run the POwerup Self Test (POST), the first part of the boot process that usually generates a single, short, "no problems found" beep?
Do you have a system speaker installed? If not, you are going to need one.

and my lan LED wont turn on when i plug in a ethernet cabel, mouse and keyboard doesnyt work either,
OK.

it boots the hardware but no bios or peripherals,
???

it wont even display anythihg on the monitor either. power only turns on and off by PSU switch.
OK.

Working with what you have here, it looks like you have another bad power supply. Either that, or the PSU wasn't the problem after all.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Why did you jump to the conclusion that it was the PSU in the first place? The MB or ram could also be causing the problem.

You mean the fan on the GPU only runs intermittently? Or sometimes when you push the power button it runs, and then other times it doesn't? Sounds to me like the GPU could be the problem as well.

What does that mean?

Describe exactly what happens when you push the power button. How long will the PC run? Do you have to manually shut it down or does it just shut down on its own? Do you get any beep codes from the MB (requires a case speaker)? Do you get any graphics display?

Also, run through this checklist and make sure you haven't forgotten to do anything:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-build-post-checklist

And a basic overview of your hardware would be helpful as well.

Arkturius

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
sorry bout the scramble wording i was in a rush posting this but here goes.
i had a 450w xion power supply and it zonked out on me and wouldnt run any of the hardware, i had a spare 400w psu lying around so i hooked it up and the fans and such would run, old psu wouldnt even run fans, so i thought it was the psu so i bought a new 850w corsair it runs the fans also, the video card runs randomly when i switch the power on and off, it doesnt run all the time, the cpu fan runs no matter what when i turn it on,
Specifications: amd phenom x4 9500 agena 2.2ghz stock 2.4 OC'd
4GB wintec 800mhz memory
Saphire HD 3650 512mb video card
generic 500GB hdd
Corsair TX850w power supply
Msi K9A2-CF motherboard

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Well from that description, it sounds like your old POS xion power supply took your motherboard and potentially other components with it to the grave. This is why you never buy a cheap PSU (hopefully it was cheap, if you paid a lot of money for that psu you really got robbed).

If you read that checklist that I posted, at the end there are instructions, courtesy of jsc, on how to breadboard your components, which is a wonderful diagnostic method.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Does your GPU produce any video signal at all? If not, is there any way to get another gpu to put in there to see if that is the problem?

If you cannot do this, or it turns out that changing the GPU does not fix anything, you should do a couple things:
1. buy a case speaker so you can listen to beep codes, like this one: http://www.pcloft.com/casespeaker.html
and run through boot up and see what you get, refer back to the breadboarding instructions.
2. Buy a new MB, as I suspect that would be the cause of this problem, that has integrated video (this is very nice to have an makes diagnostics easier), on the 790gx or 780g chipset. This one is a pretty good value: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138130
3. Then test the system using jsc's breadboarding instructions, testing each component one at a time. This is important because its likely that more than one thing was damaged when the PSU failed.

BTW, that corsair PSU you bought is an excellent unit, but its way more than what you need for this PC, a Corsair 450VX would have been fine.

Arkturius

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
im planning on buying a new xfire motherboard and 4 new video cards anyways, i was hoping to salvage the RAM and i do have a case speaker i removed the RAM and it didnt beep when i botted it
the video card isnt giving a signal becasue i dont think its getting the correct amount of power

Arkturius

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
well my case speakrer isnt beeping when i remove the RAM so i think the boards dead in the pci area and the p4 slot might be dead too because my processor fan still runs

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Yeah sounds like the board is dead. The GPU isn't not getting enough power, the board is just dead, which is why you aren't getting a video signal, although it is also possible that the GPU is dead too. The PSU is controlling the power given to your video card, and it should be just fine.

Why are you buying 4 video cards?

Arkturius

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
prolly 3 but i already picked out a DFI motherboard with 4way xfire, i might get 2 video cards and a physX or 3 and a physx dont know yet