Overclocking RAM options

ChodeManglerGTX285

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
what i usally do with ram, is look at the product number and go to the forums and read up on there like i did with mushkin. I had gotten XXXXX product code that is listed on the box and i went to the site and punched it in, i found guys with the same board that I had, and it told me what i should touch and what i should leave at auto.

For example: the ram i have is 4 gigabytes of mushkin ddr2 1066 ram at cas latency 5
the simple timings were 5-5-5-15-30, however knowing that the board i have it sets everything to auto ( asus m3a32-mvp deluxe) the ram default is set to 2.0-2.1 volts

so i followed a guide: I found that I could set
cmd- 5
tcwl-6
trcd-5
trp-5
tras-15
twr-6 (4-6)
trfc0-trfc3- 327.5
2t mode- set if you have higher than 533 mghz.
the rest i kept at auto, and i'm still working on what is right for my ram and mobo, it will take some time, so there is no rush and follow your own guide, i tried someone else's timings years a go and my pc wouldn't boot for ***, just incase you didn't know that. I'm still too new for overclocking ram. Some of the stuff that you don't normally see in the bank cycles are for advanced ram timings, some of that you don't touch unless you absolutely know what you are doing, i've heard too many rumors that messing with bank cycles is like playing with fire, hopefully thats not true.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for the response. I'll try finding a guide for my RAM.

My main concern is that I don't know how to change the frequency directly. If I change the timings to 4-4-4-10 1T and the CPU to 15x 215 (3.225Ghz), than my RAM automatically goes to 461Mhz. I'm not sure if this is related to the overclock of the CPU or what?

With my 800Mhz 5-5-5-15 RAM at 922Mhz 4-4-4-10, I suppose that I should just consider this a success.

ChodeManglerGTX285

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Suppose that is a success once you run a memtest on the ram and see how stable it is. I would also try to find a guide for your asus motherboard or a forum that supports your mobo, I know for one that I own an Asus m3am2-mvp deluxe, and I love the *** out of it, but the manual does not go into great detail of what every option is, and its people like you and I that need that extra help just to at least get by with our performance.