New motherboard. System starts up, POSTs, then restarts.

pullarius1

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
So I just swapped out the motherboard in my working system for a new BIOSTAR G31E-M7 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262), and now I can't seem to get it to work. I successfully flashed the latest BIOS, and I can get into the BIOS (I already set it to default settings and reset the CMOS jumper), but I can't get much further. I get to the screen where you can choose how to start Windows (I'm using XP), but whatever I choose the system just resets. Nothing spins down or shuts up, it just restarts my machine. I swapped out the CPU and memory, but the same thing happens, and since the system was working until the mobo swap, I feel I must have overlooked something. Help?

Specs:
730 Watt Raidmax PSU
Intel Q6600
2 x 2GB DDR2 800
Haven't even seated my video card yet.

Thanks.

That's what newer windows operating systems do when you change boards. There's nothing wrong with your system. You need to format and do a fresh installation of windows, or (with your old board installed) start in safe mode, remove all the system devices, install your new board, go back to safe mode, install the new board drivers, and reboot. You may get lucky and avoid a format.