Direct TV modem dead

I have 2 DTV receivers that lost their modems. I haven't gotten into the
chassis, just quit buying movies. I'm guessing lighting zapped them as I had
the same thing happen to a Pc modem till I added a surge suppressor to my
phone line.
Is there a fuse on the receiver pcb, or is that too simple ?
4 answers Last reply
More about direct modem dead
  1. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    On 12-Apr-2005, "Jeff Dieterle" <jdieter@nospam.carlnet.org> wrote:

    > I have 2 DTV receivers that lost their modems. I haven't gotten into the
    > chassis, just quit buying movies. I'm guessing lighting zapped them as I
    > had
    > the same thing happen to a Pc modem till I added a surge suppressor to my
    > phone line.

    Your homeowners insurance should cover the loss minus any deductible.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    A few erroneous assumptions were made. For example, how did
    a destructive transient enter on phone line when the telco
    installs an effective 'whole house' protector, for free, where
    their wires meet yours? How does a protector adjacent to the
    modem (without an earth ground) do more than the existing and
    properly earthed protector?

    Second. Which wires highest on a utility pole make a direct
    connection to electronics inside that modem?

    Third. Why do you assume a protector and protection are
    the same thing? Those are two different components of a surge
    protection 'system'. You have the surge protector. But a
    surge protector not properly connected to surge protection is
    simply ineffective.

    What is the one component that every protection 'system'
    must have? Earthing. Therein lies your first question. What
    the transient earthed before it entered the building. They
    you may discover phone lines are not the most common source of
    modem damage.

    Jeff Dieterle wrote:
    > I have 2 DTV receivers that lost their modems. I haven't gotten
    > into the chassis, just quit buying movies. I'm guessing lighting
    > zapped them as I had the same thing happen to a Pc modem till I
    > added a surge suppressor to my phone line. Is there a fuse on
    > the receiver pcb, or is that too simple ?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    L230j@verizon.net ....the deductible on my insurance is more than a
    purchasing a new receiver and since I've lost 3 modems ( 1 on a pc, 2 on DTV
    receivers)

    "w_tom" thanks for the info on transients and earthing - I guess, but I'm
    looking for info on the guts of a DTV receiver regarding fuse protection
    ahead of the modem
  4. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Unfortunately, fuses tend to fail after damage has
    occurred. The primary purpose of a fuse is to protect you
    after internal electronic damage has been created. In fact,
    some designs integrate a 'fuse' function as part of other
    electronic components. For example, when the schematic calls
    for a flame retardant resistor, then never replace that
    resistor with a conventional carbon resistor. The resistor is
    also acting as a fuse to protect your life. Using a carbon
    resistor would only create a fire.

    Another device that can blow is the inrush current limiter.
    Its function is to provide power quite slowly to the power
    supply on powerup. But like so many other components that may
    have failed, you really need a meter to follow and measure
    where electricity does and does not exist. Electronic more
    often fail without any external indication which is why the so
    inexpensive multimeter is essential.

    Jeff Dieterle wrote:
    > "w_tom" thanks for the info on transients and earthing - I guess,
    > but I'm looking for info on the guts of a DTV receiver regarding
    > fuse protection ahead of the modem

Satellite TV TV Modem Home Theatre