Going from 4770 to 4890 issues

pmnuon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
hey guys i'm new to this forum. i just bought 2 xfx 4890 to replace my old diamond 4770s xfire. the 4770 worked fine without any issues. but as soon as i installed the 4890s and ran crysis warhead dx10, it would load the level then my pc would restart itself. i then tried far cry 2 and same thing would happen, and it freezes also. stalker clear sky worked when i didnt choose the dx10 setting for the lighting, but as soon as i selected that in game and restarted, BAM!! froze up. i tried both catalyst 9.4 and 9.5 and its the same problems. i have an intel dp45sg mobo, e8400 cpu, 4 gigs ddr3 mem, and a bfg GS 550 Watt ATX EPS/12V Power Supply. nothing is overclocked, everything is set to stock. the gpu stays around 56C idle. i have latest bios installed for mobo. im not sure why my 4770s worked flawlessly on the same setup. im thinking my psu sucks. i hope its the psu and nothing else. ive googled this issue and couldnt seem to find anything. any info will be greatly appreciated

4745454b

Titan
Keep in mind the 4890 is nothing more then an over volted 4870. As a top end card, its going to suck a lot of juice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702010&Tpk=gs%20550

According to the newegg link, the PSU outputs 18A on both rails. The chart on the side also says 432W together, or 36A total. I could be wrong, but I believe the 4890s in CF need more then 40A. (I think its actually 45A, but I'm not sure.) Either way, you don't have enough power. Figure out how many Amps you need for two 4890s, and get a quality PSU that will provide you with a bit more then that. This should fix your problem.

Not enough power is my vote too. I had a PSU with similar specs and it could not run a single 2900xt all the time, and two 4890s need a lot of power (especially compared to two 4770s (which are new, right? kinda confused me when you called them old)).

pmnuon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

i did try it with one card and its doing the same thing :(

I'm a little tired so I might not have read right but............. I didn't read anywhere that you un-installed the drivers before you pulled the 4770's. And then installed the new card or cards and re-installed the drivers.............

pmnuon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

o yea i did reinstall the drivers and cleaned em up with driver sweeper. first i did regular uninstall then i rebooted in safe mode and ran driver sweeper. still same problems. i think im just gonna get a better power supply? any recommendations?

The last 4 or 5 I bought were Corsair. No problems with any of them. I will say however that the cables are a little stiff on the modular units though. Corsair has a brand new 850 modular. Supposed to be good. I was looking at one over at newegg about a half hour ago. $200 for that one. Don't know your price range.

pmnuon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
ok guys, i switched pcix slots and it seems to be working fine now. no lock ups, freezes, resets. what should i do now? im kinda new to this whole pc building thing

pmnuon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

yea i tried a single card in each pciex slot. one works fine running a single 4890 but the other slot is the one with the issues. its funny cuz both slots previously worked with no problems when i had my 4770. should i just get a whole new mobo and call it a day?

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007

What motherboard are you using?

pmnuon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
now i tried putting a single 4770 in the pciex slot that wasnt functioning with the 4890. and with the 4770 in there it works fine. im stumped

sanders4617

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I just don't think 432watts or whatever it is is enough. I just bought an Antec ea650 for $65 at Newegg.com. Will go back up to $75 tomorrow or the next day. I don't know for sure that the ea650 would run both cards though.. no experience with that.

Well first of all when the 4770 was introduced and on some reviewer sites they said it didn't need external power.......... that it would work with the 75watts the pci-e slot provided. Putting the 4770 in the other slot and showing it works proves that you don't have enough power to run both 4890 cards. Upgrade to an 850watt high amp power supply and stop trying to save a few dollars on a 650 or what ever. You might end up screwing yourself again.

pmnuon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
The 4770 needs just over the 75w pci-e slot output, about 80w, so it does need external power.
Two 4890's would draw significantly more power. I'm not sure why your so stumped about this. Seems the easy fix would be to try a better psu.

the only thing i dont understand is why my single 4890 works in the primary pci-ex slot but not the secondary one. and why the 4770s work in both pci slots. maybe im just way overthinking things and its just a psu issue. but thanks everyone for your input. ill pick up another psu in a few days and see how it goes

maybe it's a bios setting... ? not being able to look kind of hampers things. I have one board where you have to enable one of the pci-e slots. and one where you have to select what slot you want the video card to be seen in. as far as the the 4770's....perhaps because they draw low power.

sanders4617

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I think I have read before that you have to run your main card in a certain slot on the primary slot on motherboard (for certain motherboards).. so that could easily be it.. but if the 4770 works in the secondary slot by itself, then I don't know.

But BUY A GOOD POWERSUPPLY. It won't matter if you get the 4890 working in secondary slot, you can't run both of them without a better PSU.

VXBlade

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I have (had) the exact same problem with my Graphics card. I personally went from a RMA'd 4870 to a 4890. Although the 4870 was drawing black triangles all over the place in 3d, it still worked for hours in the same PC that the 4890 is causing reboots on. I did all of the following before finding the solution last night... which to me is just plain crazy stupid...
RAM tests = FINE
CPU STRESS = FINE
GPU ALONE = FINE
Full system stress testing outside of 3D = FINE
In testing in Crysis and Fallout 3 = Reboots
Disabled Soundblaster Card = Crysis fine for 30 minutes or so, Fallout won't boot without sound
Re-Enabled Soublaster x-fi Fatal1y PCI card = Reboots
DISABLED J-Micron SATA controller I wasn't using on the motherboard = EVERYTHING FINE

I'm not sure if there is a BIOS workaround, or a maybe I have a faulty motherboard, but apparently The J-Micron SATA controller + 4890 + Soundblaster X-FI = Reboots for me.

Also, on the Rampage Forumuls Motherboard in Windows Vista 64, the J-Micron controller driver is detected as emulation software by Fallout 3 and Farcry 2's SecuROM check... when I turned off the J-Micron Controller, my SecuROM error's that I didn't own the original disk went away as well...

Go figure...