Using, temporarly, 2 PSU

vbal

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Hi!

I have some big trouble with my HD4870x2, since I can’t do any 3d applications with Catalyst AI turned on, which results in me just using one core on my x2. And I want x2 and not x1. I've tried everything to solve this problem (DirectX upgrades, ai on standard and advanced, force vga mode, tried several different driver, you name it!). The official support tells me my PSU is probably to weak (Corsair tx 750w, http://en.kioskea.net/guide/details/632423883-corsair-microsystems-corsair-tx750w-power-supply-internal-atx12v-2-2-ac-90-264-v-750-watt-active-pfc-united-kingdom). Since no of my friend owns a better PSU, or another HD4870x2 I can’t try it that simple. But my idea is to use a friend’s 450W psu for mobo, cpu and everything except the gpu, and use my solely to the gpu, and see if that works. I should be able to conclude the PSU as the faulty component if that PSU can't feed the gpu, right? So, is it as simple as connect everything to his psu, and the gpu to mine, and boot? Or do i have to do something more complicated?

Damn my wall of text syndrome. Hope you can see my point, if not I’ll write it again, more simple:)

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
err you have to short the power up jumper on the motherboard power cable

but seriously a tx750 should have more than enough juice for a system like that... I know ppl whom run QF with i7s with a tx750......

not enough for quadsli but still....

vbal

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Yes, i also think it should be enough, but try say that to the support guys:p Ok, so i have to connect the power up jumper to both psu. Is that correct? Is that the only thing i need to do?

vbal

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Ok, but the jumper is the only one that need configuration? There is no possibility in destroying something doing this? Yes, I'm pretty sure I have cf enabled, even thou I can't find any check box for in CCC. I loaded up my settings on you tube if you want to take a look:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzQ0u-8HR6w