SSD slow write? Kingston SSDNow V100 SATA2 128GB

FourtyHour

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hello

I just purchased an SSD (in the title). I was using a couple hard drives in raid 0 previously.

I used CrystalDisckMark to run a benchmark on my SSD. I am getting 228.3 sequential read and 81.96 sequential write. Is this normal? The write seems rather slow to me.

I also ran the same test on my RAID 0 drives and the results were: 219.6 sequential read and 213.4 sequential write.

Here's what I did today:

I installed the SSD into my computer, and cleared my old drives data and set them into raid 0. While leaving my SSD out of the array as a stand alone.

In the installation of Windows it did not detect my single SSD drive which I was going to install Windows 7 64 bit on, instead it only detected my array of RAID 0 hard drives.

I restarted and created a new array of drives as JBOD and included my SSD drive in it only. Now I have my single SSD alone in an JBOD configuration set as boot and my old hard drives in RAID 0.

I was able to select the JBOD with my SSD in it and install Windows successfully onto it.

So what I currently have setup is my single SSD drive in a JBOD set as boot. I have windows installed on this and plan to put my games on it also. I have my other drives in a RAID 0 which I plan to use for general storage.

Is the JBOD somehow hindering the speed of my new SSD?

Just a summary of info let me know if anything else is needed:
Motherboard :p5N32-E SLI
Processor: Q6600 2.4ghz
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V100 SATA2 128GB
HDD: Western Digital 350GB 7200RPM *2

here is a review that you can compare your performance against
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1969&pageID=9920

Your southbrige is a nvidia, Most of the reviews seams to be done using the Intel southbridge. This is probably due to the higher % of intel MB.

One problem is that for trim to be inabled and USED the AHCI driver must be used. Most users have used the default msahci driver. Intel recently updated their RST driver to that the SSD can be used with the BIOS set to RAID as long as the SSD is NOT a member drive of a raid setup and trim will be passed. I heard (Have not verified that AMD fixed their AHCI driver so that trim would work - have heard NOTHING on Nvidia chip set.

FourtyHour

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
From the looks of things my motherboard doesn't support AHCI. My SSD read seems consistent with review benchmarks, but the write is half of what the benchmarks are reporting. Could not having AHCI be causing the huge decrease in write performance or possibly something else?

Yes, but could be a combo of lack of AHCI and the chipset. An alternative might be to get an add on card that provides additional Sata ports. I bought the Asus U3S6 card which provides 2 USB 3 ports (rear) and 2 SATA 6 internal ports (Uses a pci-e x4 (or higher) slot. It uses the marvel controller and you can use the ms AHCI driver with it.

But of bigger issue may be the lack of trim support. The VPlus100 is suppose to have an excellent "garbage collector" which negates the lack of trim (reason it is recommend for apple machines) - not sure about the Non-plus version.