Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I get higher overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 26, 2011 6:07:58 AM

I put the overclocked specs in Bold:

My PC:
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 (Bus Speed = 225 MHz, HT Link = 2031 MHz)
AMD Athlon II X4 640 - O.C. - 3.385 GHz @ 1.43V on stock heatsink/fan
4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1333 (10666CL8D) - O.C. 1500 MHz @ 8-8-8-21
Antec 902 Case (Fans: 2 front, 1 top, 1 rear)
Corsair 650TX (PSU)
MSI Geforce GTX460 768MB/OC Cyclone (O.C. 875MHz Core, 1750MHz Shader, 4.4GHz Memory)

The setup above runs Prime95 stable (only tested for 30 minutes), and CPU core temps maxed at 57 degrees. I thought that I could overclock higher, and I spent the better part of Friday experimenting with all the BIOS settings. I noticed that only changing the reference clock and the CPU voltage made a difference, so I only changed those fields and kept everything on default/auto. But then again, this is my first time overclocking so it is possible I am doing something wrong.

I first tried the ASUS Auto-Overclock thing in BIOS, but it failed miserably. It set my reference clock to 232, and decreased the RAM frequency. Running Prime95 made BSOD within 5 minutes.

Any suggestions on how to increase my overclock would be helpful. I know that going with an aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan will really help, but I first want to see the max I can push it on stock since the cpu is not exceeding 57 degrees.

More about : higher overclock

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2011 5:06:04 PM

Quote:
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 (Bus Speed = 225 MHz, HT Link = 2031 MHz)

Your CPU may not be able to tolerate a 2013 MHz HT Link. If you have it on "Auto" and your M/BD sets it to that value you may have to set it manually by reducing the multiplier by one setting keeping it closer to 2000 MHz as you can.

Quote:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 - O.C. - 3.385 GHz @ 1.43V on stock heatsink/fan

Your Vc is just barely above mfg recommended voltages of 1.05 - 1.4V. ASUS M/BDs do tend to set Vc to a higher Vc than what you set in BIOS however then drops in Windows if you check with CPU-Z. The Vc will then drop a little further under load (called V droop) which could be just enough to make your OC unstable requiring a higher initial Vc (which also means more heat).

Quote:
4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1333 (10666CL8D) - O.C. 1500 MHz @ 8-8-8-21

Your memory may not be able to handle that high of an OC. If not already set go to OC Tweaker in BIOS then Overclock Mode and set it to [CPU, PCIE Async.]. This locks those freqencies to their default settings.

Lastly when you are OC'n your CPU do not OC anything else til you have your OC where you want it. Your CPU should be your first and most important component to have stable before OC'n Ram and GPU. Throws in to many varibles to keep up with. :) 

Check this Link and this Link to see what others have done with that CPU and note the voltages.

Good luck to you and Happy OC'n. :sol: 
February 26, 2011 6:51:58 PM

I just wanted to reiterate that the stated specs above are stable. But, increasing the reference clock above 225 causes instability. Even when increasing Vcore voltage, decreasing RAM, HT link, and NB frequecies. The CPU core temps never exceed 57 degrees when running Prime95 at 230 reference clock, so I feel like getting a higher overclock is very feasible. I just can't seem to find a way to do it. I think my memory is limiting me since the instabiliy is caused by memory dumps. I've tried increasing the DRAM voltage, timings, and decreasing DRAM frequencies to no avail.
Score
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2011 7:58:51 PM

Quote:
I think my memory is limiting me

I agree.

Quote:
since the instabiliy is caused by memory dumps.

New information there.

My CPU runs stock at 1333 MHz FSB (1333 / 4 = 333.25 X 8.5 = 2832.625 MHz or 2.83GHz ). As I increase my FSB so does my Ram increase. Your obviously having the same situation.

I bought DDR3 PC2000 Ram allowing me a to run under clocked ram til I reach 4.2GHz @ Linked and Synced settings for my ram. See my CPU-Z box at the bottom.

That way I did not have to worry if my memory could handle my OC.

I currently run my CPU at 3.83GHz which means my memory is running at 1803MHz. My mfg timings stock are 9,9,9,24,2t however I can run them at 8,8,8,24,2t which provides me with a faster PC overall.

I've been running like this since the summer of '08 with periods of experimentation with W/C'n and OC settings. I switched to a 212+ air cooler that keeps my CPU ~ 54C under load running P95 w/sftts.

Lastly, did you get a chance to look over those links I gave really good? :??: 
Score
February 26, 2011 9:37:27 PM

Unlike most beginners, I actually research before I post questions on here. So yes, I have read those links before. I really don't see how they help with my situation. Thanks, anyways for your help.

I think running my particular RAM @ 1500 MHz is not too much overclocking, so I don't see why I'm getting these errors. What really gets me is that running the RAM at lower frequencies doesn't seem to alleviate the instability. I guess I have to fiddle around some more with the settings.
Score
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2011 2:43:31 AM

Well I guess the least I can do is wish you good luck and happy OC'n! :D 
Score
a c 239 K Overclocking
February 27, 2011 3:22:47 PM

@charlie310

Sometimes in overclocking we just need to start over, what do you have to loose in taking that route, arthurh has given you some good advice already, his past record which I can confirm is quite impressive overclocking locked AMD cpus, is even beyond what I thought he would achieve, so if he is attempting to help you I strongly advise you listen to him.

His advice to you is dead on the money, so for what it's worth to you and reaching your higher goals, re-read what he told you, take a step back, and re-approach your goal.

Have a great day and I hope you achieve the higher clocks you're after. Ryan
Score
February 27, 2011 8:19:08 PM

4Ryan6 said:
@charlie310

Sometimes in overclocking we just need to start over, what do you have to loose in taking that route, arthurh has given you some good advice already, his past record which I can confirm is quite impressive overclocking locked AMD cpus, is even beyond what I thought he would achieve, so if he is attempting to help you I strongly advise you listen to him.

His advice to you is dead on the money, so for what it's worth to you and reaching your higher goals, re-read what he told you, take a step back, and re-approach your goal.

Have a great day and I hope you achieve the higher clocks you're after. Ryan

I sincerely appreciate his help. But like I said before, I've already done the things arthurh advised. I really don't get where you got the impression that I didn't. If you read my posts above, you know that arthurh is not "dead on the money". Like I said before, I have already tried doing the things he told me to no avail. I've read those two links he sent me before my attempt to overclock, and read others regarding my MOBO. I've also read reviews of my components to get more info on voltages and Overclock limits. But it does not help the fact that Prime95 fails whenever I go above 225MHz reference clock, even when increasing voltage & decreasing frequencies for CPU, RAM, HT Link, Northbridge.

I'm sure if he was here in my Apt. helping me, he would be able to overclock my rig to its full potential. But since I'm probably not explaining everything in full detail, and not posting CPU-Z, HW Monitor, and event log of errors, I think his advice is very limited.

Since I think it is memory, I'm going to run MemTest. I'm also going to do more research on my RAM. It is irritating that BSOD doesn't tell you which components are causing the PC crash. From doing some more research, it appears that memory dumps are not specifically RAM related and could be caused by anything. Nice!
Score
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 2:47:02 AM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Score
a c 239 K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 3:00:42 AM

Best answer selected by 4ryan6.
Score
!