Why does chkdsk cancels itself

Jfirst

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
every time i boot computer the chkdsk coms and canceals itself have tryed all the different suggestions for dowing it thru cmd prompt help

Solution

Chkdsk at boot is there for one of several reasons:
System found some type of HD error and scheduled it at next boot.
User scheduled it at next boot.
It is in scheduled tasks to run.
For some reason (??) the dirty bit for the HD is being set, forcing it to run.

If it is...

Don't know what all the other suggestions are, but:

Will it run from a command prompt ?

1 A wireless keyboard constantly sends connection messages to the computer and this message is misinterpreted by the command and cancels the chkdsk program.
2) Some USB keyboards will also cause the program to cancel.

The last thing I can come up with is that the BIOS (firmware) of the HD is faulty or corrupted in some way.

when the computer schedules a chkdsk at boot the command sends a signal to the harddrive to use its own checking program to search and repair any errors. sometimes this goes bad and chkdsk is canceled from the harddrive bios. There is no fix for this and it doesn't mean that the drive is failing. It just means that the drive cannot do a self repair of bad sectors when prompted. In this case the only way is to use the manufacturer's utillity to perform the test!

Jfirst

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Thanks for hte info.From cmd prompt it runs for a short time and shows an error found and than says it is unable to run in read only.If I go With chkdsk.exe it runs thru the 1st part starts to run 2nd part and then just stops.I've tyed chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r and it wants to run on next boot up.Have run Dell pc chek and ran the test from there and all pass.Computer still boots up sfter cancelling chkdsk do I need to worry the chkdsk comes up everytime I boot up

Chkdsk at boot is there for one of several reasons:
System found some type of HD error and scheduled it at next boot.
User scheduled it at next boot.
It is in scheduled tasks to run.
For some reason (??) the dirty bit for the HD is being set, forcing it to run.

If it is in scheduled tasks and you want to remove it, go to
Start > all programs > accessories > system tools > Scheduled tasks
and delete chkdsk entry.

To run it from Command prompt while windows is running, first:
chkdsk /x (Forces volume dismount and implies /f)
(does not schedule it at next boot)

Solution