Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Swap Hard Drive Data(Or get a SSD?)

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2010 12:13:25 AM

Hey, I had a fast question. I have no other hard drives, no external hard drives, etc, just to start.

In my PC I have two hard drives, two 500GB. One's a 7200 rpm Seagate hard drive, one's a very slow WD caviar green hard drive. I made a VERY poor choice putting windows and everything else on the much slower WD, and my games on the Seagate. I wanted to know if/how I can swap the information from the Seagate to the WD and then data on the WD to the Seagate.

OR: Should I buy this SSD: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... and install windows on that, and put my music, apps I want to load faster, etc on that, games still on the faster seagate, and anything else (and maybe a Linux partition?) on the WD. Thanks in advanced! :D 
December 27, 2010 7:42:20 AM

I got that same spinpoint for my mom's pc I got her for x-mas, it seems pretty fast but it doesn't have a whole lot of stuff on it. Maybe I should just put my WD in hers and the 320 spinpoint on mine, however it brings the quest back to me transfering the data on the WD to that spinpoint, and the spinpoint to the WD. :|
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 177 G Storage
December 27, 2010 1:21:28 PM

Get the SSD. You will be pleased at how much faster everything seems.
Assuming you have windows 7, make certain to set the sata mode in the bios to AHCI(not ide or raid). That will give you trim support.
December 27, 2010 1:25:48 PM

geofelt said:
Get the SSD. You will be pleased at how much faster everything seems.
Assuming you have windows 7, make certain to set the sata mode in the bios to AHCI(not ide or raid). That will give you trim support.

Okay, thanks. I guess I'll save up another thirty bucks to get that one.
m
l
December 27, 2010 1:25:57 PM

Best answer selected by MutatedGamer.
m
l
!