preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hey TH,

I am trying to navigate this mine field of motherboards that the market has right now. I have an i5-2500k cpu and I am trying to find a mobo to overclock it on. I have 2 other problems though... I have 8 Gb of G.skill Ripjaw RAM and two gtx 260s I want to sli on it. The current models from asus are all single channel gpu but fit my RAM. The boards from EVGA that I am looking at fit my gpu needs but they are triple channel RAM (I believe this is right? correct me if I am wrong) and I dont have the money in my build budget to trade out my G.skill duel channel RAM for that of triple.. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks TH for your advice

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I have an ASUS P8P67 PRO, and have 8GB RAM and TWO GTX 460s in SLI mode - with my I7-2600K processor. They are all playing nicely together. The 2500K should work just fine on the ASUS P8P67 mobos.

HTH,

Eric

P.S. - ASUS has some nice utilities for their mobos that make overclocking really easy - the AutoTune tool works great to get you started.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks alot, did you RMA your board? Or do you only use 2 sata devices and therefor only need 0 and 1 ports?

Also what do you think of the sabertooth mobo? Is it just gimmick marketing for a board that really only looks ascetically like its different? or is it worth the extra bills?

Also any more news on release dates this week, every thing I read says that there will be some supplies this week. With larger quantities arriving in mid march.

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Check here for latest news. Just be sure to get the "New" boards!

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/10124/#

To me, Sabertooth was more gimmick than anything - not much "real" performance gain, just looks. Even the Deluxe didn't add much to the Pro for me.

P.S. - Haven't RMA'd yet. Just waiting to hear from Newegg or ASUS...no problems so far with 2 SATA 1TB drives.