Sign in with
Your question

High CPU Temps (Noctua NH-D14)

Last response: in Overclocking
February 26, 2011 6:07:30 PM

I apologize in advance for the wall-o-text.

First thing's first, the specs:
* Cooler Master HAF 932 case (stock fans)
* Intel Core i7 930
* Noctua NH-D14
* Arctic Cooling MX-3 TIM
* Asus D2X
* 2x Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
* Corsair HX850

* My cable management
* My original TIM coverage using small blob

While running my i7 at *stock*, I was getting idle temps of around 42C and load temps of about 60C. I then re-seated my Noctua using a small rice-grain sized amount. With the computer laying on its side and the side doors closed, I was getting 35C at idle and 55C at load.

I thought, great! I put the PC back on its feet and wheeled it back to its original position. I turned on the PC, loaded up RealTemp and... my idle temps were 42C again.

For shits and giggles I overclocked according to this guide. I loaded up Prime and RealTemp... *my idle temp moves between 45-47C!* My load temp clocked at 69C at the maximum... it stabilized at around 67.

I'm certain my temps are just higher than they should be, and I can't understand why. It's driving me crazy. Do you guys have any idea why my temps are what they are? And are they safe for daily usage?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2011 6:45:05 PM

All chips are not the same so the guide you used might be great for their chip but not yours. Your temps are not crazy hot considering you are running at 3.8ghz and on air cooling. I would also wait a few days after using your computer to let the tim settle and check your temps. I bet they will drop after a few days use. Also try and lower your volts a notch and see if it boots if so run prime to test it.
m
l
February 28, 2011 4:04:49 PM

Try using faster fans! I got a meghalems rev. b with two 3,000 rpm fans in a push and pull system and I get an idle temp of 34c on all cores overclocked javascript:%20validform(this);@ 4.2! That's not really too high of a temp. check out theese fans maybe they will help! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... you can use in push pull system
m
l
!