Sign in with
Your question

What do I need to know before installing my SSD? anything special ?

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2010 12:25:15 PM

Anything special I need to do before installing my SSD?

Is it as simple as mounting it into case... powering it... hook up sata cable... set bios to boot from CD and clean install windows 7 ???

That is pretty much my simple plan. Is there anything else I should know or do?

More about : installing ssd special

January 3, 2011 11:23:59 AM

Can you give me a link so I can bookmark/save it ?
m
l
January 3, 2011 12:29:43 PM

thanks !!!

People always talking about drivers and such...

Just wondering as I am about to install my 120gig Vertex2 and I plan to clean install Windows 7 x64.

I also will be adding two 1TB samsung F3 HDD's to my system. I am undecided if I will keep my current 750gig Samsung HDD (it's full..lol) or use it in my cavarly dual bay dock.. and just copy what I need and use that as external storage. I also plan to keep my 300gig velociraptor.

My plan was to install the SSD and windows... then bring online the two samsungs (I will probably do a RAID 0 array for them) and then hook up the velociraptor after I had installed OS to the SSD. I will copy what I want from the velociraptor (as it is OS drive now) then clean format it in windows...

So specifically I wanted to know:

What drivers and stuff should I have ready on USB drive or CD for my windows install ??

and is there specific versions I should look for?

I know that I need to enable trim command capability and I must select AHCI as the sata mode in the bios(not ide or raid).

If I clean install windows-7 anyone know if it will select it's own ahci driver which will properly pass on the trim command. ??

also the F6 driver everyone talks about... is this:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=h...(Intel%C2%AE+RST)

Is that all?

Did I miss somthing?

Is there anything for the OCZ specifically? or other setting I need to change?
m
l
!