CM Hyper 212+ & 955BE Worried about Temps

Sheresh

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Ok so I have a CM HAF922 Case with the big 200 upfront sucking air in and the big 200 on top sucking air out. When I got the new CPU I used the stock cooler and the idle was about 35 degrees and loaded around 55-58degress. I went out and bought a CM Hyper 212+, slapped it on and did Prime95 for a full 24 hours. When I first put the new cooler on my idle dropped to 26 degrees and loaded around 45ish. AFTER running Prime95 for 24 hours my idle is now up to 33-35 degrees, and loads at 48ish (Doesnt seem to hit 50) degrees. As far as Everest reports, my cpu never went above 49 degree's during the 24hr period.

I have not done ANY OC'ing yet, this is all stock everything except of course for the new cooler. Are my temps ok? Is it true that idle isn't REALLY what matters but the max loading temp? I'm just a little worried because this is only my second time putting on an aftermarket CPU cooler and this one was little more complicated since the heat pipes directly contact the cpu. Although I did follow the guide on here.

Another worry I have is that when I do up the multiplier to x17 which is roughly 3.6Ghz my idle goes up to 37ish degrees with loading around 48ish. At x19 which is 3.8Ghz it idles at 37ish and still loads around 48ish. What worries me however is on this higher multipliers it doesn't take long at all for my temps to jump into the 45 range. Is this normal?

Am I just being paranoid lol? Should I just quit fretting over my temps? I also should mention that I use Ceramique Artic Silver 5 thermal compound.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Your 125W Deneb was idling under the stock cooler just a few degrees below what most others report - lets call it normal since you didn't list your ambient temps.

It then idles properly at 26°c under the Hyper 212, but then idles at a steady 6°c higher after a 24 hour burn-in.
Raising the multiplier to get 3.6GHz and 3.8GHz results in the same temperatures.
Right so far?

The 955 will max out at 62°c, and The CPU is going to be hotter as it's drawing more amps when OC'd, so I would consider 48°c, loaded at 3.8GHz under a Hyper 212 to be just fine.

My only concern is the 6°c higher temp after burn-in of the paste. Hmmmm, are you sure that higher ambient room temps are not what caused this? If not, then the paste might be on just a touch too thick. Not enough to bother me though.

I think everything is just fine.

Sheresh

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

Yes I'm sure this isn't the room temperature. I have my PC right next to a window and I crack it some to let cool air in when I'm gaming and I keep my heat vent my my room closed. I am only really worried about the fact that when it first went on it was idling at 26 degrees C, and now it seems to stablize at 32. If it's just a case of a little extra paste then I'm not too worried about it, as it's a pain to put in and take out. I probably did use a little more, just because like I said previously, this is a direct contact heat pipe cooler so. If you think it's fine then I'll let it be. If not then I'll just take it to my local PC shop and have them do it.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Let me suggest this;
Since your temperatures are not a problem at this time; they are only just a little higher than normal - and this could be due to a number of factors, e.g. variance in processors, paste type and thickness, minor heatsink imperfections, etc., leave it go for now until summer and see if the temps then become an actual problem.
Even then, I would suggest that you do the paste re-application yourself...and re-do it if necessary. Yes, it is a pain to remove mega-coolers, but, in 2 or 3 years your temps may begin to climb again as the paste gets old, and then you will need to pull the cooler and reapply, so, do it yourself and know it is right.
I have personally seen computers store "experts" get it wrong...big time!