Sign in with
Your question

Sempron 2.7GHz good enough for now?

Last response: in CPUs
August 10, 2009 11:03:32 PM

I am putting together a cheap system for simple web surfing and playing WoW with the Lich King expansion. I know this build isn't anything great now, but I want a system that I'll be able to upgrade to get it up to par. I have a 19 inch monitor, keyboard and mouse already and am shooting for an end price of around $300.

This build has the Sempron 2.7ghz proc that is pretty much a Regor die with a core disabled. If I don't run any other programs I think I can OC it enough to get playable framerates and am wondering if the second core is unlockable. I want to wait until the new Athlon II X4 and Phenom II X4 965 chips come out and see if there's a price drop in some of the other chips like the 720 BE and the quad cores. I do plan to upgrade later and don't want to waste money on a processor I plan to replace in a few months anyway. However, I would like to stick to a mobo that I won't have to replace any time soon.

This build only includes the integrated graphics for now but I can pick up something like a HD 4670 or HD 4850 in two or three weeks.

Here's what I've got so far:
AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

500gb 7200rpm WD Caviar Blue HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LG DVD Burner

Rosewill Midtower Case w/ 600W PSU -Combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Total = $298.93

Do you think this will be good enough to run WoW-wotlk for now and can still be upgraded to a decent gaming system later on? Any suggestions on how to improve the build without getting to extravagant? I want to stick with a mobo that I won't have to replace for a while. I haven't found a lot of info on the 2.7ghz Sempron so far. Any advice/opinions are very much appreciated.

More about : sempron 7ghz good

August 10, 2009 11:53:41 PM

I know it's a single core but am not too worried about that right now. My 3.0ghz pentium single core was running WotLK at playable frames so I think this could probably do it without too much trouble, especially if I run it on windows XP.

I do plan to upgrade to a more premium cpu in a couple months. I'd just rather blow the 40 bucks and have a computer that runs for one or two months than be stuck walking to the library to check my email. I don't plan to try and sell the sempron and will most likely just set it aside in case of emergency or something.

I know the case is junk but it's cheap with the psu combo and while rosewill doesn't have the best name in the business this PSU has gotten decent reviews.
( http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/558/1 )

I haven't been able to find anything else that can keep me under $330 which is the most I can spend.
August 11, 2009 12:19:33 AM

go ahead with it. the sempron is not bad at all. and will be faster than your pentium. I'm sure that you won't fell the need for a dual or a quad soon, based on the usage you're doing. once you upgrade to a better cpu, get a cheap motherboard, few gigs of ram, a cheap case hdd and dvd that you'll be able to sell to someone that need a computer for internet
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 12:36:29 AM

Did you see this combo deal?

It's the same GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard instead with the much more powerful AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor and $30 off for $140.You could get this instead and opt for just one stick
of 2 Gigabytes DDR2 RAM at first.
Instead of replacing the CPU later on (and wasting the money on it) you get the second stick of RAM later on.

To recap the motherboard you selected in a combo deal with the RAM is about $112.The CPU you selected is $40 so with your initial choice with motherboard,ram and CPU would be $152.

With the same motherboard but with the much more powerful 3 Ghz Phenom II X2 in the combo choice that I found it comes to $140 plus RAM is needed.
You can find 1 stick of 2GB DDR2-800 RAM for pretty cheap like this one for $24.
So my choice would be $164 or just $12 more than yours with the more powerful CPU that wouldn't have to be replaced but would initially have only 2 GB of RAM which you can add another stick on later.
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 6:53:29 PM

I too am looking for a similar build except i am using the Regor and GSkill RAM, with and Antec case+PSU.

all under 300 dollars

Mines cheaper cuz i am keeping my old DVD, CD-RW, and HDD. I was going to use an e5200 but i heard they won't be able to support 16 gigs of RAM, which was the MAX RAM upgradability amount on a Foxconn mobo. but i was only going to use 4 gigs.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 12:55:46 AM

What about the Athlon II X4 is that going to be any good? ik it hasn't come out yet but...

and i am getting the regor 240. but i am looking to be able to upgrade the CPU down the line so please don't give me any AM2/ AM2+ CHIPS, only AM3 chips and no phenom IIs yet, i can only spend around 300 on this setup

any way thanks for all your suggestions but please post ur suggestions on my thread, cuz i pretty much took over this thread.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 5:50:06 PM

sorry i meant for a new mobo,RAm,case/PSU, and proc. sorry for the confusion
August 21, 2009 6:30:01 AM

Ok, well I went with the Sempron 140 and a GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H for the proc/mobo in my final stages. It was worth it!

I disabled cool'n'quiet in bios and enabled ACC and now I have an Athlon II X2 4400 (at least that's how it's recognized), which is friggin' awesome for only $40!

I ended up changing a few things in my build too. i upgraded the cpu to a corsair 650w just to be safe and a couple other things but I am definitely happy that I stuck with the sempron 140. This cpu will fit my needs for a few months, then I plan to upgrade to a Phenom II X4.

I plan to overclock this puppy and see what I can get, i'll keep everyone updated.
September 4, 2009 7:28:11 AM

The Sempron140 Sargas is plenty fast I just got one for a htpc ie.. low power consumption. with the same mboard ,2gb ram runs wow with room .. And don't forget you can unlock #2 core sometimes..( but I don't need it .:) . you made the right choice and when you upgrade you can use it in a server ..
November 19, 2009 1:30:15 PM

Skiron7 said:
The Sempron140 Sargas is plenty fast I just got one for a htpc ie.. low power consumption. with the same mboard ,2gb ram runs wow with room .. And don't forget you can unlock #2 core sometimes..( but I don't need it .:) . you made the right choice and when you upgrade you can use it in a server ..

I recently put together a HTPC using a Sempron 140. I used the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard and 2gb 1066 ddr ram. This board is running integrated 785g graphics (ATI HD 4200) with HDMI out. I could turn it into a dual-core in Linux, but not in Windows 7 32-bit, which is what I am running now. It played all SD video and TV beautifully, it played HD video fairly well, with a slight bit of stutter. Also I have a blu-ray drive on it, and I would frequently get a error in PowerDVD (error 0122) when I tried to play blu-rays.

I wanted to keep power usage low, since this was a 24/7 box, and I knew I could probably fix it with an outboard card running in Hybrid CrossfireX, But I knew the graphics card was plenty for a dedicated HTPC, so I went ahead an sprung for an AMD Regor 240 dual core 2.8. It was only $60 (vs. $40 for the Sempron). The Win 7 experience scores barely moved, but the second core fixed all problems. Now I am running the blu-ray and 1080p HD perfectly.

This is weird, cause the Win 7 experience scores were almost the same:
4.9 before (with Sempron single core) 6.1 (processor), 5.5, 4.9, 5.5, 5.6 (bottlneck graphics)
4.9 after (with AMD II x2 Regor dual core 2.8) 6.2 (processor), 5.5, 4.9. 5.5, 5.6 (bottleneck graphics)

I know the Regor is a low-end dual core, but still only 1 tenth of a point better in Win 7 Experience? If it only takes 1 tenth of a point to make the difference between watching 1080p perfectly and watching it stutter along, I am definitely sold!

At least the Sempron won't go to waste, it is the basis for my NAS build next. It will be the perfect processor for a killer NAS!
November 19, 2009 7:54:37 PM

Too bad it didn't unlock the second core for windows. You might try overclocking your sempron for some increased performance in your other rig. I was able to OC mine to 3.2ghz stable and it didn't go over 35C with the stock Heatsink-fan under load.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 6, 2009 12:02:19 PM

michaelangelo1 said:
I recently put together a HTPC using a Sempron 140. I used the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard and 2gb 1066 ddr ram. This board is running integrated 785g graphics (ATI HD 4200) with HDMI out. I could turn it into a dual-core in Linux, but not in Windows 7 32-bit, which is what I am running now. It played all SD video and TV beautifully, it played HD video fairly well, with a slight bit of stutter. Also I have a blu-ray drive on it, and I would frequently get a error in PowerDVD (error 0122) when I tried to play blu-rays.

I wanted to keep power usage low, since this was a 24/7 box, and I knew I could probably fix it with an outboard card running in Hybrid CrossfireX, But I knew the graphics card was plenty for a dedicated HTPC, so I went ahead an sprung for an AMD Regor 240 dual core 2.8. It was only $60 (vs. $40 for the Sempron). The Win 7 experience scores barely moved, but the second core fixed all problems. Now I am running the blu-ray and 1080p HD perfectly.

This is weird, cause the Win 7 experience scores were almost the same:
4.9 before (with Sempron single core) 6.1 (processor), 5.5, 4.9, 5.5, 5.6 (bottlneck graphics)
4.9 after (with AMD II x2 Regor dual core 2.8) 6.2 (processor), 5.5, 4.9. 5.5, 5.6 (bottleneck graphics)

I know the Regor is a low-end dual core, but still only 1 tenth of a point better in Win 7 Experience? If it only takes 1 tenth of a point to make the difference between watching 1080p perfectly and watching it stutter along, I am definitely sold!

At least the Sempron won't go to waste, it is the basis for my NAS build next. It will be the perfect processor for a killer NAS!

this is very useful information as i am going to update my pc with sempron 140+biostar a785ge motherboard but now i go for athlon II 240 to play hd videos.
Thanks for sharing this info
!