Please, need help concerning new build...

shadowlift

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Ok guys, I'm going to be building a new computer in about August-October (first build), and I've come up with this:
Sapphire HD 4890 OC
Phenom II X3 720
SpinPoint F1 750GB
Scythe Mugen 2 (Will this fit my case?)
Antec 300
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P Motherboard
620W Coolermaster Real Power Modular
4GB (2X2GB) CorsairTwinx DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) CAS 9-9-9-24
Vista Home Premium 64-bit / Windows 7? (Should I get windows 7 andaround how much should it cost?)
Pioneer DVR-216DBK 20x DVD±R, 12x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, SATA, Black, OEM
I hope this should cost about £820.
Looking good?

Also, if anyone wants to know;
The purpose of this build: To be able to play new games that come out for another 6-8 years, and I hope, on decent settings :) (Currently, on the garbage I'm typing on now, I'll be lucky to get 25 fps on cod4! :eek: and that's on 800x600!!!! :pfff: :sleep: )

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Windows 7 rocks right now...

The CPU cooler should fit...i don't see why not.

You should get higher than 60fps in COD4 now with a cool 3.0GHz overclock. ^_^

shadowlift

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Ermm... I saw a site that sold the same CPU with a Sunbeam Core Constact Freezer overclocked to 3.5 Ghz, will I be able to get that on my Scythe?(I've never overclocked before, but i know the basics :) ) , and do you think I really need a 620 watt psu?

shadowlift

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Also is there any way I could get the windows 7 beta as the main OS on my system so I won't hav to pay for vista, then I'll buy windows 7 when it's out? :)

The RC1 version of Windows 7 was released to the public on May 5th and is good until March, 2010. You could use it until then. The only problem would be that when you buy the Retail version of Windows 7 it will require a re-install of the OS.

^
I'm going to laugh when the Windows 7 hype blows up and everyone realizes it will have all the same bugs and issues that every Microsoft OS has when it comes out. Windows 7 is not the OS savior. Just buy Vista 64bit, it's solid and runs great. I won't buy a Microsoft OS until it has SP1.

I've been running Windows 7 on my backup PC since the beta was publicly available. It's been so stable on that machine that I just installed the RC on my main PC. Microsoft is taking Windows 7 pretty seriously. The stability has been great for pre-release software.

The performance is noticeably better than Vista also, especially on my backup machine that just has a P4 @ 2.8GHz and 1GB of RAM.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with Vista. I just think it's silly to buy Vista right now when Windows 7 is just around the corner. My main PC is mostly used as a HTPC now and I couldn't believe how much better Windows 7 works for a HTPC. I had to do registry hacks to get both of my TV tuners to work in Vista. Even then, the setup was flakey. I also never got the guide to display data for my OTA sub-channels. All of that just worked out of the box with Windows 7. I didn't even have to install a codec pack to watch my AVI files!

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I already have Windows Vista Ultimate on another hard drive...but since i'm using Windows 7 RC i transfered all my files there from Vista ^_^

Rowe, Microsoft does not fix all the issues...they only fix the most common issues which i'm sure you know. So far, Vista SP1 is working very well...i think they are already working on SP 2 unless its already out LOL.

I have to say i am impressed with Windows 7 RC...despite the minor changes...no major changed there.... My E6600 & RAM rated 6.4/7.0 and i clocked it down from 3.5 to 3.0. WTF! Stupid rating system...

shadowlift

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Ok, so maybe I'm getting a bit too overexcited :) but I might also be building in July, how easy is it to change your operating system?

Windows 7 is Vista with the hdcp stripped away and much better hardware management .
It has a lot lighter footprint than vista , and importantly some versions will allow the use of a virtualised XP environment so i can keep using software/games in XP as well .

7 is what vista should have been , and yeah it will have bugs and Im not trusting business data to the RC but for home use and gaming its a better choice than paying for vista and being out of date in a few months

binwhui

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
looking good..
but i'm not sure if it would run games 6-8 years from now..
can you imagine the hardware 6-8 years ago?:D

shadowlift

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Why does technology move so fast... *sigh* :ange:
Right now I play most things on low, so how long will this pc I listed last until it just can't run any games?

shadowlift

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Ok, so if I'm Installing the windows 7 beta, how would I do it? Would I have to burn the installer or somethng on a cd (if so, does it have to be a DVD or can it be a cd rw or something?), and just boot it off bios, and let windows take care of the rest? Oh and please answer my previous question :)

shadowlift

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
hmmm, I read a review on the gigabyte motherboard I mentioned, and it said it's got a few flaws. Do you think that it's the best choice for the price range of my build? Please reply with a suggestion as to what the best possible motherboard I can get at around the same price of the gigabyte ga-ma790xt-ud4p ?

shadowlift

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
And is the Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P the best possible motherboard for my build at the £100-£120 price range? (sorry, I don't know it in dollars)