Gateway 9150e CPU

xxx22104xxx

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Ok...same questions from here too. I want/desire/need a better processor. I too have the gateway 9150e with the AMD quad processor of 1.8 GHz, with 8 gigs of Kingston 800 MHz memory (4x2gb), and XFX 9800 GT graphics card. I want a better processor and need a better power supply (currently the OEM 300W). The motherboard is the key issue for the processor, which is RS780M03G1-8EKRS2HM as printed on the label. I have two ideas for processors...quad or dual???

I am using this desktop as gaming primarily and I am disappointed with my results and settings for Crysis (medium settings to achieve decent frame rates of 30-40). I do not think (could be wrong) most games now implement or take advantage of quad core processing and multi-threading but may in the future. So, should I get a fast and cheap dual core or get a quad core. Also thermal design power (TDP) may ultimately make my choice for me because of the motherboard. Overclocking would be nice to achieve but not sure with the OEM bios but wouldn't AMD's black edition processor's allow me to as long as the bios recognized it?

My socket type for my current processor is AM2+ and is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103287. I have a dual core processor in mind that may fit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103678. What do you guys think?

So, depending on the processor I think I need a power supply near the 600-700W range to allow some overclocking of the CPU and 9800 GT. I don't really have any questions about the power supply because I feel like I know enough about rail voltage and amps and all that good stuff. My main questions for the community include: 1) what processor will fit my OEM motherboard?, 2) Dual or quad core depending on TDP?, and 3) Is there a way to overclock whatever power supply you guys recommend? Thank you.

jgrimm2364

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
If you are still unsure of that mother board cpu option I have some answers. I have the same motherboard and 8Mb ram in a Gateway LX6200 that I bought last Dec. It came with an AMD Phenom 9500 Quad core 2.2Ghz CPU. Wimpy onboard video I replaced with an ATI Radeon HD2900 Pro video card. The power supply is the one that came with it Delta Electronics DPS-400RB A, - not sure of wattage - 400W? Also running Vista Premium 64 bit and Crysis 64 bit.

I turned Crysis eye candy all the way up and it looks awesome. Only problem is the video card, known for running hot - really does get so very hot and I only get about 10 to 40 minutes before it starts locking up, but otherwise it runs fast n smooth. Haven't tried OC'ing the oem yet, doubt it will be able to from what I know.

I also have a WAY FASTER computer a year older that I built, running an Intel Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz overclocked to 3.7 Ghz and only 3 Gb ram available and XP 32 bit with an Nvidia BFG GTX285 that runs Crysis even smoother. It also gets very hot, and does lock up once in a while, but not nearly as often I think only when I run CPU more than 3 Ghz though. The link was a sempron, or wrong link.

Hope you already figured out a nice solution, but if not, maybe this will help.

John

jgrimm2364

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Here's another nice option I just ran across:

The AMD ATI Radeon (Mobility) HD 3200 is an onboard (shared Memory) graphics chip (on the RS780M chipset). It is based on the HD 2400 graphics core and features the UVD video engine to decode HD videos (Avivo HD).

Hybrid CrossfireX is a new feature of the chipset, that allowes to use the onboard HD 3200 graphics core in conjunction with a dedicated graphics card (of the Mobilty Radeon HD 3400 series) in Crossfire combination to increase the performance (similar to GeForceBoost / HybridSLI of Nvidia). Every frame is rendered by a different graphics core with this technique.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-HD-3200.9591.0.html

raystauber

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

I had that hybrid crossfire setup with a 3450 on the exact same computer. It was okay. I could get about 3000 points in 3dmark vantage ENTRY and I could play crysis 1024x768 with settings on medium (that what crysis auto detected the best settings to be)

Eventually I just put in a Phenom II 945 95w and a 4770. Now I can play all on very high with 8x AA etc all turned on and I get 30-60 fps. Now also get about 8000 in 3dmark vantage PERFORMANCE.

jillibug2364

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Can you help me with it john? email me jillibug2364@yahoo.com.thanks.
email me pls...
---jillbaby, your wife