The Sims 2

I had a question? I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my
computer is good enough to run The Sims 2? I have it coming in the mail
and didnt want to be dissapointed when it got here. Windows XP Home
Edition Service Pack 2 Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1200MHz 1.20GHz 256
MG of RAM

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about sims

    I found a site that you can download a version of software to check
    compatibility. My video card isnt good enough. Also My computer in
    properties says 256 MB of RAM but when this software program checked my
    system it only showed there being 255 MB of RAM. How can I fix this?

    Sammie wrote:
    > I had a question? I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my
    > computer is good enough to run The Sims 2? I have it coming in the
    > mail and didnt want to be dissapointed when it got here. Windows XP
    > Home Edition Service Pack 2 Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1200MHz
    > 1.20GHz 256 MG of RAM
    >
    > Thanks

    I'd think it would be rather iffy on that machine. The Celeron chip is not
    the best and I think you barely have enough RAM to run it. What kind of
    video card do you have? How much RAM is on it?

    Jeanie

    Sammie wrote:
    > I found a site that you can download a version of software to check
    > compatibility. My video card isnt good enough. Also My computer in
    > properties says 256 MB of RAM but when this software program checked
    > my system it only showed there being 255 MB of RAM. How can I fix
    > this?

    1MB doesn't matter, it's probably been eaten by you OS or something, don't
    worry it's still there. Also, your PC will run it, but not very well, I'd
    look into getting a new PC if I were you.

    My next question would be do all video cards work for all computers? or
    do i have to buy a special kind of video card?

    video card.........let see.....Intel(r) 8281AA AC'97 Audio Controller?
    is that it?

    > I found a site that you can download a version of software to check
    > compatibility. My video card isnt good enough. Also My computer in
    > properties says 256 MB of RAM but when this software program checked my
    > system it only showed there being 255 MB of RAM. How can I fix this?

    It seems moderately likely on the information you've given us that you
    have some kind of fairly old onboard video, which shares the main
    memory. Which suggests that it's only using one meg itself. So *really*
    not good enough for anything demanding.

    If you get yourself a reasonable video card - it doesn't have to be
    cutting-edge, but it's probably false economy to get something *too*
    cheap - you should find that you get that meg back.

    HTH.

    CK

    Sammie wrote:
    > video card.........let see.....Intel(r) 8281AA AC'97 Audio Controller?
    > is that it?

    Audio = sound. Probably not.

    And no, not all video cards may fit into your machine. You need to know
    what type of slot, and whether or not your motherboard can handle it.

    -georg

    You can probably run the game but it will be slow and choppy. The first
    thing you should do is bump up your ram (get more). Go to
    http://www.crucial.com - they will walk you through 3 steps to find out
    what type of ram you need for your machine, how much the PC can support,
    and offer modules of various sizes (128 / 256 / 512 / etc.) that will work
    in your PC. I have ordered from them several times and never been
    disappointed. Even if you don't order from them, at least you'll know what
    type and how much ram your computer can use.

    Next would be possibly upgrading your video card with either a PCI or AGP
    card (depending on the motherboard you have and what it will support). You
    can get a pretty good indept look at the "innards" of your machine by
    running this diagnostic program. It's a freeware app. that I swear by
    whenever I work on a new or old PC ... It shows the manufacturer,
    make/model, and any other specs for devices and hardware in your PC..
    Aida32 was sold to another company and I think the new freeware app is
    called "Everest" .. the original aida32 is still available though (haven't
    tried the new version yet). aida32 -

    heh.. 25+ years in tech support (before my layoff) - habits die hard and I'm
    still up to my elbows in friends & co-workers PC's now.

    I'm running The Sims 2 without any problems on a P3 / 733MHz machine - 128mb
    video & over 1gb ram .. not choppy at all. I've also met people running
    the game on Celerons who aren't experiencing any problems. A new machine
    would be great but sometimes finances only permit modest upgrades of the
    current machine .. you'll get the biggest bang for the buck by adding more
    ram...

    HTH

    feawen

    "Sammie" <borninurdreams82@witty.com> wrote in message
    > I had a question? I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my
    > computer is good enough to run The Sims 2? I have it coming in the mail
    > and didnt want to be dissapointed when it got here. Windows XP Home
    > Edition Service Pack 2 Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1200MHz 1.20GHz 256
    > MG of RAM
    >
    > Thanks

    > My next question would be do all video cards work for all computers?

    No.

    or
    > do i have to buy a special kind of video card?

    All video cards are special to someone.

    Provided we aren't talking about a laptop, the three main types of video
    card connection technology are, in order of age*, PCI, AGP and PCI
    Express. I'm pretty sure you won't have PCI Express, since AFAIK they
    only started making PCI Express video cards late last year.

    PCI is the oldest of the bunch, and it's not that likely that you've
    only got PCI. You'll have some PCI slots on pretty much all
    motherboards, for things like sound cards, network cards, internal
    modems, that kind of thing. But if you have one that is set further back
    from the others then that'll be the AGP.

    AGP covers most video cards from the last 7 (?) or so years. They come
    in four speeds, 1X, 2X, 4X and 8X, IIRC. They are mostly
    backwards-compatible AFAIK so that you can put a newer card in an older
    motherboard or vice versa *except* that AGP 1X and 2X used a 3.3V
    signalling voltage, 4X uses a 1.5V signalling voltage and 8X uses a 0.8V
    signalling voltage. The cards that require either 3.3V or 1.5V are keyed
    so that they will only fit in a slot that supports them. They won't
    necessarily work, but they shouldn't get fried if they fit the slot.

    You should find out about the specifications of your motherboard either
    by reading any manuals you got with it, or by checking out the
    manufacturer's website. You should also check out the specifications of
    any video card you're planning on buying, also by checking out its
    manufacturer's website. You can find out about specifications and
    compatibility with either the Wikipaedia or your search engine of
    choice. There are also any number of review sites that might help you
    choose the card that's right for you. Bear in mind that the reviews were
    probably written when the cards came out, so any recommendations on the
    price/performance ratio might not be current.

    HTH.

    CK

    * I've just remembered about ISA video cards. But they're *very* old,
    and you wouldn't be able to run a Celery 1200 in one of *those*
    motherboards.

Sims Games Video Games