Sign in with
Your question

4870 Crossfire help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 27, 2009 10:24:34 PM

Hi guys,

I am about to connect the two 4870s I have.

Two questions I have are:

Do I need some special connector for the monitor since there is two video cards? Explain how to connect the monitor having crossfire set-up.

Is there any special driver or setting that I need to set in order for these cards to work properly?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot!

More about : 4870 crossfire

May 27, 2009 11:38:55 PM

You should have received a 'bridge' with at least one of the cards I imagine. It connects the 2 cards INTERNALLY, (inside the case, just a couple inches big/long). All you should have to do is plug the monitor in the 'master' card, and enable 'crossfire' in the driver/Catalyst Control Center
Related resources
May 28, 2009 12:39:25 AM

I know about Crossfire Bridge.

Doormatderek,

How do I know which is the master card?

Thanks friend.
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2009 2:45:38 AM

I believe they did away with the master/slave setup for ATI cards, basically insert the cards, connect the cf bridge, install your driver and make sure ATI crossfire is checked in the CCC panel, then go play some games!
May 29, 2009 12:20:41 AM

that and make sure you read your motherboard manual!! :p 
June 9, 2009 11:58:17 PM

I have been thinking this also. So Crossfire needs two (2) internal Crossfire bridge connector to work properly, not just one? Because I watched the official video on the ati page and it showed only one bridge connector/2 cards.
June 10, 2009 12:03:11 AM

I used to have crossfire, i got more options with two saying that. but my primery card didn't like it.

yes ATI with the HD 2XXX did away with the "crossfire edtions" and made them all compatible, you primery would be which ever has the monitor pluged into it :p 
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 12:14:49 AM

It depends on the card and manufacturer. Some need 2 bridges, some only need 1. It's a pretty bizarre state of affairs tbh.
June 10, 2009 12:31:13 AM

well I had two sapphire HD4870s one stock and the other was a custom, put two bridges on installed the drivers and all the card did was sit and revv with the computer beeping like hell :o 
!