Sign in with
Your question

ACER Model ZG5 has bsod and comes up with reference to atapi.sys how to fix?

Last response: in Windows XP
October 10, 2011 11:53:06 AM

I am not sure if this is a virus but perhaps I've got a corrupt file. The system keeps rebooting and even if I say don't automatically reboot I can't seem to fix the issue related to a systems message about atapi.sys.

I've tried the options available by pressing key F8 but still am at a loss on how to even get a new driver on the PC in this condition, if that is actually the problem. Ideas on how to handle? Thanks!
October 10, 2011 1:37:06 PM

JoG said:
I am not sure if this is a virus but perhaps I've got a corrupt file. The system keeps rebooting and even if I say don't automatically reboot I can't seem to fix the issue related to a systems message about atapi.sys.

I've tried the options available by pressing key F8 but still am at a loss on how to even get a new driver on the PC in this condition, if that is actually the problem. Ideas on how to handle? Thanks!

if you can get into safe mode or boot from CD:
atapi.sys It's an important file to properly boot your Windows if you notice the file bytes is 96+ or 94kb below then it's altered try restoring it from the installation disc unzip the file from cd:\i386\ATAPI.SY_ overwriting(replace) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys

Maybe Search & copy it from another Location ?

m
l
October 10, 2011 3:20:31 PM

Hi thanks for response. I do not have access to a CD drive in the netbook nor the orginal CD with drivers. I can't find the i386\atapi.sy_ directory file combo on my other computer. I was able to get into safe mode and restored the system to an earlier date, but it just started the process all over again.
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2011 12:14:13 PM

It seems I have a really nasty virus that even Microsoft can't successfully remove, yet.
m
l
October 17, 2011 7:35:50 PM

Well, since it's a driver it must be hidden . Go to any folder and go to tools>folder options, and on the view menu
check Show hidden files and folders.
If you can go to safe mode, look in the C:\windows\system32\Dll chache to see if you have a copy of atapi.sys driver to replace the one in your System 32 directory.
Or, search another copy (you should have some backup of certain drivers, some in dll chache , some in Service pack folders, depanding on your pc and windows instalation,etc) on your windows instalation partition(drive)... :hello: 

Also , do a scan with Malwarebytes...
m
l
October 19, 2011 12:17:13 AM

JoG said:
Hi thanks for response. I do not have access to a CD drive in the netbook nor the orginal CD with drivers. I can't find the i386\atapi.sy_ directory file combo on my other computer. I was able to get into safe mode and restored the system to an earlier date, but it just started the process all over again.

Well that's actually good news. If you can get into Safe Mode, go to run and enter "msconfig".

Go to the startup tab and uncheck anything that is not required. Same for the Services tab (hide microsoft services) and uncheck anything that is not required.

If it is a virus and it is continuously being loaded it will keep farking up your system after you fix it. Make sure it doesn't get loaded and try to restore after this is done.
m
l
!