Dual Monitor: Wide + Non-wide

atsuten

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm running XP with Nvidia's 9600 GSO. I just updated Nvidia's drivers last night. I've got two monitors:
1680 x 1050
1280 x 1024

They work fine as individual units. I'm trying to get WoW to display on both, but the game does not support dual monitors.

An official support post from Blizzard specifically said that the game gets the approved resolution list from Windows.

When I tell Nvidia control panel to stretch the display for one monitor, it calculates the resolution as 2560x1024, which throws the ratio off for anything viewed on the widescreen.

I also tried WoW in windowed mode. I thought I could just stretch the window while the monitors were treated as separate displays. This also caused major distortion in the display ratio.

I need to tell Nvidia/Windows to allow 2960x1024 or 2960x1050. How do I do this?

Ares_

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
In nvidia control panel, there is a way to add custom resolutions. You may want to try that. However, I do not recommend WoW over two monitors. Stretching it over with 2 19 inchs or a 19 inch and a 24 inch screen has always been a displeasure of an experience.

atsuten

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Nvidia control panel does not accept the custom resolutions I have added :(

Another forum suggested Softth.

I've seen videos of great results via 3 monitors and Softth, some include mixed resolution. Unfortunately, changing WoW resolutions has resulted only in crashes thus far.

You don't recommend stretching it... because the character is in the middle of the screen? Viewport addons can fix that. They cannot, however, correct the resolution ratio problem that occurs when a widescreen monitor displays a 4:3 or 5:4 screen.

I've seen a screen shot of this combo, but I don't understand how he did it. Here's the link:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=5973988481&sid=1

SS of WoW:
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5439/wowscrnshot041708145621wm2.jpg

I tried following his steps, but I got stuck mid way through. That's my post at the bottom :cry:

Thanks for the help!

atsuten

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I tried following his steps, but I got stuck mid way through. That's my post at the bottom

I did. I have not gotten a response.
Those forums move very quickly... a few hours and the post is on the second page. After a day, it is 2-5 pages deep.

I've seen results using SoftTH, which I'm messing with now. Unfortunately, I don't understand the crash error message I get when I try to use it.

atsuten

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I did install power strip. I could not find the "write custom driver" option. Is that Vista only?

I tried to tell power strip to over-ride the windows settings, but it continually rejected my edits to resolution. I think this has to do with EDID.

I know EDID can be blocked by removing a pin from a VGA-DVI adapter, but honestly I'm nervous about making hardware edits. I'm not even sure that would work, given my lack of success with other methods.

TRENDING THREADS