Sign in with
Your question

Fake kingston 128g flash drive

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2010 11:36:50 PM

Hello, I unfortunately got a fake kingston data200 128g (no serial #). Worked Fine until a power failure during a download. Unreadable files were left on it which would not delete. killdisk took care of that but now windows will not reformat as a fat32, only exFat or NTSF.How can I force a Fat32 format
a c 95 G Storage
December 28, 2010 1:36:36 AM

have you tried the Disk Manager?

you might have to use FAT32 with 32kb clusters
m
l
January 4, 2011 11:59:54 AM

Command Prompt:

format X:/FS:FAT32 /U

replace x with drive letter of flash drive

***i tried to remove smileys........****
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2011 1:26:49 AM

1, you might got a fake capacity.
2, Try disk management to see whether anything might change
3, Kingston might got format tool on its official site, you can search and then download the tool to format your flash drive
m
l
February 11, 2011 12:10:48 AM

In reply to my own question, I fixed it before I received help from this forum.

#1. Nothing in XP Pro will format to FAT 32 which is required by all large capacity flash drives.

#2. Even though this is a "fake Kingston" it is more of a "knock off" which means it was manufactured by the same Chinese company that manufactures the real ones. The amazing thing to me is that the Chinese manufacturer can sell it for $45.00 and make a profit. Kingston sells it for $400.00.

The Cure: Downloaded KILLDISK freeware. Ran single passes until flash drive was completely wiped.
Downloaded HP Flash Drive Format Tool freeware. Program re-formatted flash drive back to FAT 32.

Yes, this is a true 128G and works great!

Thanks to everyone for your help. Hope this information will help someone else in the future.
m
l
!