Cooling Solution for i7

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Q1. Should I get a Coolermaster HAF 922 case(fans are smaller and less no.) with a good aftermarket HSF or an HAF 932(fans are larger and more no.) with stock fan?

p.s.
*Coolermaster HAF 922 ($209 NZD)
http://www.coolermaster.com/produc [...] il&id=6618

*Coolermaster HAF 932 ($293 NZD)
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/pr [...] ct_id=2810

*Coolermaster V8 HSF is around $119 NZD

*I only run at stock frequency

Q2. Which comb will give me an overall better cooling solution for both the CPU and GFX?

Q3. Is it OK for GTX series graphic card to run alone/in SLI without a side fan installed?

Solution

My vote goes to getting the HAF 922 and the Scythe Mugen-2. The Mugen-2 is cheaper and performs on par with the Megahalem and V10.

Since...

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
good after market HSF always helps, the case can only do so much if the heat is trapped with the CPU.

and the 922 is just as good as the 932 imo, since it is smaller of a case, the fans inside do the job just as well (if not loading it with hdd)

also, consider the TRUE or CCF

cuz according to here:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_v8/4.htm

the V8 is a gimmick compared to the TRUE, and the CCF i know have similar if not better performance than the TRUE due to TRUE being morel likely to be curved and needs lapping.

My vote goes to getting the HAF 922 and the Scythe Mugen-2. The Mugen-2 is cheaper and performs on par with the Megahalem and V10.

Since the Mugen-2 fits in the HAF 932, it will fit in the HAF 922.

Good luck!

Solution

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
What are the noise levels of these fans compared to Coolermaster V8?

I want to get a fan that is quiet(at least the same as V8) with the performance similar to the fans suggested by you guys and not more expensive than the V8.
p.s. I won't be getting Noctua as it is way too expensive in NZ

Any suggestion?

Thanks

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
the stock TRUE fan that came with mine is really quiet, but it is a low performance deal... at 4 Ghz it gets 85 C on all 4 cores.

I have a two fan setup, where the stock fan is on at full whenever, and a 100 CFM delta is on full only if temp > 65 C are detected. This drops the temp to 75 on the same system under absolute full load, but do not help with idle temps. And when it is fully on, it sounds like a jet engine, or a "quiet" server room if you ever been in one...

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Prolimatech is the best from what i understand, in noise and cooling. The problem is u need a monster case to hold it in because its huge, but any full tower should support it.

The Scythe is another overkill in cooling, but is a little smaller than Prolimatech.

Notcua is one of my favorites, very quiet in big cases, and the cooling is excellent. I would recommend this cooling option anyday. I just wish it came with better colors...but oh well you can always change fans.