Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 4890 overheating

Last response: in Overclocking
February 28, 2011 4:29:54 AM

Anything graphically intense - starting with games as old as Oblivion - causes my system to go into nuclear meltdown.

I have to run the video card fan on FULL BLAST all the time when I'm playing newer games (Madden 2008 is OK) and certain games just don't react well. Fallout 3, I have to lower the resolution or the computer just reboots because of the heat. Oblivion? Lower the resolution, and today I had to open the side of the case to get the thing to run without rebooting.

This has been going on since I got the card. My 8800 GTS never gave me any problems.

Now, I'm probably going to get a GTX 470 in November, which I'm thinking will probably fix the problem. I've read several reviews on the 4800 series and they all say they run hot.

However, in the interim, I want to take my PC into a local shop and get them to install a cooling solution. New heatsink on the card, perhaps. The only questions is would it be worth it?

How much are they gonna charge me? If it's more than $100 I might as well just go ahead and get the 470 now.

Of course, I guess it COULD be just really shitty airflow. But is fixing that really gonna fix MASSIVE temperature increases? I should add that I run a PC with a low-noise fan, massive heatsink setup over the CPU. It works well, but I'm wondering if it causes heat problems for the video card, since it cramps the case a little. Note that I have moved the black fan to the back of the case.

a b U Graphics card
a c 242 K Overclocking
March 1, 2011 5:03:33 AM

I think it is hot but not your VGA PSU is hot, because the PSU airflow clashed with the CPU cooler air flow, you have very poor water flow

fix it or at least remove the PSU from the drop box outside the casing and try to turn back or add some fan mounted on the casing as the exhaust and you can change position cpu cooling fan on the side for air flow to the rear, and not upwards
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 3:29:43 PM

bfett81 said:
However, in the interim, I want to take my PC into a local shop and get them to install a cooling solution. New heatsink on the card, perhaps. The only questions is would it be worth it?
Used to own a 4890 and had the same issues...swapped out the factory cooling solution with a Zalman VF1000 and the gpu heat issues went away...yes! an aftermarket cooling solution is a worthy upgrade...swapping out to the Zalman even let me push the gpu OC a little higher...of course, an aftermarket gpu cooling solution will not mitigate poor airflow inside the case...

Not sure what henydiah is talking about but from your picture, it appears as though the psu is sucking air from inside the case, above the cpu cooler, and expelling that hot air out of the rear of the psu outside the case...also from the picture it appears that the cpu fan is blowing air towards the psu, so from that picture, unless the fans are reversed, the internal airflow looks okay...

Adding an exhaust fan to the rear of the case behind the cpu cooler and below the psu is a good idea as it will help with internal airflow...

I presume there is an intake fan on the front of the case, if not add one, if there is then consider a higher rpm fan...also an intake fan on the side panel will not hurt either...
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2011 10:47:04 PM

How difficult was the Zalman to install?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 242 K Overclocking
March 1, 2011 11:52:19 PM

i think your problem here..

fix like this

increase speed fan VGA
add fan for exhaust
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 12:19:22 AM

bfett81 said:
How difficult was the Zalman to install?
A person with average mechanical ability, that reads the directions, and takes their time will have no problems installing the Zalman. I spent more time taking off the factory solution and cleaning the gpu and DRAM than I did installing the Zalman.

The retail box comes with thermal paste and it will do an adequate job but replacing it with a better quality thermal paste is also worth it. The retail box also comes with a rheostat to raise/lower the fan speed manually; very convenient for changing fan speed on the fly.
m
l
March 3, 2011 12:05:12 AM

I thought you said you were running a 4890? that looks like one of the cards from the 8800s
m
l
March 3, 2011 4:09:59 PM

VF1000 just arrived. I will be installing it today.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2011 5:40:07 PM

razor_gt said:
I thought you said you were running a 4890? that looks like one of the cards from the 8800s

I didn't know 4890's came in green :) 
m
l
March 3, 2011 5:45:44 PM

OK. Good to go. FTR yes, that was an old pic with the 8800. You can see I've moved the black fan.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2011 5:50:10 PM

Is that the XFX HD 4890? The reference model? I have the same card and my temperature also gets pretty high, about 90* C during an average gaming session.
m
l
March 3, 2011 6:27:56 PM

Yes.
m
l
March 5, 2011 1:11:22 AM

So instead of starting out by replacing your video card fan, start with the blaring problem of your improper case flow. As the picture above shows, your cpu fan is facing the wrong way, and you don't have a fan on the back working as an exhaust. It's pretty horrible to be honest, all the hot air from the cpu really isn't making it's way out the back fast enough. I'm surprised your cpu isn't overheating?!?!?!?

Fix that, and your problem should go away.
m
l
March 5, 2011 3:44:55 PM

The fan is directly blowing out the back so I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Technically I don't even need that fan.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 242 K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 10:42:06 AM

basically hot vga because hot air can not get out,
I know the hot air out of the psu fan, but that's just
the heat from the psu alone, even I see that you sent
HSF your screenshoot clashed with the psu fan, and heat vga can't be sucked out, it is a bad air flow. good luck
m
l
March 6, 2011 2:53:14 PM

There's no way bad air flow is responsible for 90c + temps under load, especially when the thing runs at 55c idle.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 2:35:26 PM

When I miss-mounted a case my old HD4890 ended up hitting 95c after a few minutes of gaming. Air flow is actually the reason most people get bad temps.
m
l
March 12, 2011 9:50:02 PM

New PSU is making a HUGE difference. Temps in the 75c range at 1920x1080 under load.

My old PSU was 430 watts and replaced it with a Corsair CX600.

New heatsink is still nice because it's much quieter than the stock, but I would say switching PSUs made the biggest difference.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2011 10:17:00 PM

That's good, a better than my old 4890. *In my previous post i meant "case fan", not just case*
m
l
!