AMD Phenom II X4 955 : BOX presentation ?

priscillasm

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Hi, all

This is the first time I will try to put my PC together.

After lots of reading & watching, I decided on a configuration, and bought the pieces.

Today I got the AMD BOX, courier delivery. Externally, no problem.

But once I got to my desk, and opened it :
--
(1)
The processor :

The processor came in a small plastic see through case, as expected.
BUT there is a thin layer of black dust INSIDE the case.
As far as I can guess, this dust comes from the small cushion placed under it

Is this expected ?

On the internet we just see shiny & bright, but then, who would take a picture with them dirty - so, here lays my question.
--
(2)
The CPU cooler :

I was under de impression that the CPU cooler would come with a thermal patch.
However, it looks like thermal grease.

The appearance is not a continuous, smooth - it seems smudged.

There is a small gray thin thread sticking out. I touched it, slightly, and it is "hard" - not tough hard, but it won't dissolve when touched it.

Does thermal grease, after a while, gets "hard" and plastic-like ?
--

The store has some reputation, that is why I chose to buy there, even knowing that they were out of stock, and would take a while to send me it.

I never seen the pieces one-by-one, so maybe that is how it is supposed to be, and I am worrying over nothing.

OR am I getting a second-hand item ?

The add stated "brand new" ; no "refurbished" or alike.

I already sent the store an e-mail to question, but would like to have some "outer" opinion on this.

Thanks in advance !

[]s

Solution
After a week of talking & pictures, the store replaced the item with a brand new one - the look was quite different from the one I received.

I sent the item back, and the store said that indeed the item was violated, and that they would see whatever happened.

Anyway, my problem was solved.

I got the processor last saturday, and assembled it last Sunday, and so far, so good - as I am using W7 x64, I am not yet done, because I am searching, downloading & installing the drivers for this OS.

[]s

P.S : How do I close this thread ?

priscillasm

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
After a week of talking & pictures, the store replaced the item with a brand new one - the look was quite different from the one I received.

I sent the item back, and the store said that indeed the item was violated, and that they would see whatever happened.

Anyway, my problem was solved.

I got the processor last saturday, and assembled it last Sunday, and so far, so good - as I am using W7 x64, I am not yet done, because I am searching, downloading & installing the drivers for this OS.

[]s

P.S : How do I close this thread ?

Solution