Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz

Last response: in Overclocking
February 28, 2011 8:51:54 AM

Hi I am a beginner so I do not know very much about overclocking or computers.

I am looking to build a cheap build and I was wondering if this was a good cpu to go with. Any better options for around the $75-100 range?

And if I do happen to go with this cpu how much can it be overclocked, and to my understanding I believe it can be unlocked to a quad core.

And which mobo would be the best at unlocking the this 4th core?

Thanks in advanced.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 28, 2011 1:54:49 PM

Any Mobo with a 710 chipset or better will be able to ATTEMPT unlocking 'hidden' cores,
it is not in any way shape or form guaranteed to be successful though,
if you absolutely want/need a quadcore, buy a quadcore.
having said that I've heard of 450's getting 4Ghz,
What is your rig going to be doing? gaming,video editing etc? you might be better off re-postiung in the homebuild section to be honest, get more answers that way,
Moto
m
l
March 7, 2011 3:18:29 PM

I actually have this exact cpu, I was lucky and got one that was a quadcore with 1 core disabled, I am using an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo, it unlocked that 4th core easily with just 1 click of a button. I have not overclocked yet though. Probably going to overclock when I find some more info on it.

Hey moto, when you heard of that cpu overclocked to 4 ghz, was it stable at 4ghz?
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 8, 2011 5:27:13 AM

Tried finding it again but no luck so far, (that'll teach me to post uncorroborated statements hehe)
I think it was just a 'how far will it post' attempt, not an everyday clocking,
most people seem to settle around 3.7Ghz on those chips though, they seem to start encountering real issues at 3.8/9Ghz so back it down a touch for stability.
if I do find the melty chip I'll post back here :) 
Moto
m
l
March 9, 2011 5:35:23 PM

It's all good, i wasn't trying to call you out on your statement. I was really just wondering about the stablility becuase i want to overclock mine, but i didn't know where to start at.
m
l
!