$5000 (Australian Dollars) Computer System

ozfordfreak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I'm on a budget of $5000 and would like to build a decent gaming computer.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Whenever. I'm not in any hurry for the system, at the moment I'm just collecting data so I have something I can work with and hopefully choose the best parts :)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Storing movies, TV series, Burning/copying discs, gaming (GTA IV, COD4, San Andreas, Battlefront, etc), Schoolwork (Word Processing, etc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Speakers, I already have the right connections to get my PC thumping through a surround sound system.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
newegg.com
ebay.com.au

PARTS PREFERENCES:
CPU: I would like to stick with AMD, but anyone has some good Intel suggestions I'm willing to consider them.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Preferably 1280x1024.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to be quite, as little noise as possible. I want something flashy, nice keyboard, mouse, etc, Prefferably not wireless.

I want a lot of Hard-Disk space, I was thinking of having two 1TB HDD's, SATA.

Secondly, We're moving house and I was considering updating our family computer. It doesn't have to be anything flashy, as the one we have currently is only Pentium 3. Something with a bit more speed that will run Windows XP no problem. Perhaps slight gaming, but nothing flash.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Once again, I'm not worried about when its purchased. I just want some suggestions as to what would be suitable for basic usage (browsing the internet, reading emails, word processing, etc).

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Nothing flashy. Pictures downloaded off of a digital camera, reading emails, word processing, web-surfing, perhaps slight gaming (GTA San Andreas maybe, if not games that require LESS gaming capability).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Case, PSU, DVD/CD Drive, Floppy Drives,

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
newegg.com
ebay.com.au

PARTS PREFERENCES:
CPU: AMD most prefferably. My family wanted to update to Mac computers, I'm trying to get this update done before this happens as I personally dislike Mac's with a passion.

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Preferably 1280x1024.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Again, a quite PC would be nice. I'm not looking for the best computer, just one that would be able to cope with basic home or office use.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~ Bee :)

Firstly holdens are better than fords , but since both are crappy compared to a Honda or a Subaru its not important and I shouldnt have mentioned it .

Your monitor resolution is for a 19 inch lcd . You wont have to spend more than about $600 US to make a decent gaming machine for that resolution . Probably less than $1000 AUD

Are you sure you really want to spend 5k ?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
$5k AU will buy you an i7 gaming PC + 24" monitor.

CM HAF 932
Corsair 650tx
Asus P6T SE
Core i7 920
Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366
Corsair 650tx
GTX 295
WD1001FALS HDD
LG or Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
LG or Samsung DVD Burner
6gb DDR3 1600, G Skill or Mushkin
Win 7 RC or Widows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Samsung ToC 24" LCD Monitor

That should be in range for that budget and is an excellent system.

vasilli_65

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
hey,

I live in aus and am getting a new PC soon for about $2.800 AUD and im getting alot better than the op, heres what im getting:

Case - Antec TWELVE HUNDRED -- The Unbeatable Gaming Case - Black, NO PSU, Front ports: 2 x USB2.0, 1 x eSATA, 1 x Audio In and Out.

Power Supply - Corsair 1000W Corsair HX-1000 ATX Modular Power Supply, 140mm fan, 3-Way SLI Certified, 6 PCI-E Connectors, Universal AC input 90~264V.

Video Card - XFX GTX 285 PCI-E 2.0 1GB DDR3 512-bit, 648/2484MHz. Dual Dual-Link DVI, HDCP, Fan, NVIDIA PhysX Ready.

Monitor - Benq 24" G2400WD Widescreen LCD BLACK, 2MS (GTG) , VGA/DVI/HDMI, 1920x1200 (16:10), TILT STAND, 3YR ONSITE WTY.

Motherboard - EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 SLI Motherboard LGA1366, X58, QPI 6.4GT/s, 6x DDR3-1333, 2x PCI-Ex16, 9x SATA-II, RAID, 2x GigLAN, 8Chl, Firewire, ATX.

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz/ 8MB/ 4.8GT QPI/ Quad Core).
Ram - G.Skill 6GB (3x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 (PC12800 - F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ) RAM Module Kit (TRIPLE PACK for i7)

Also just any SATA DVD/CD Burner.

for the video card u could get another gtx 285 or if u want a gtx 295 or even 2 for that price.

For the monitor a samsung 2443WB 24" monitor.

And for a HDD u can get 2 WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD's

vasilli_65

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
soz forgot the keyboard and mouse, ive got the logitech g5 and love it and the razer tarantula is a beast of a keyboard

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

One can't buy from Newegg using an AUS credit card. Even if one could, Newegg will not ship to AUS. That's problem one...

Ebay? Ozfordfreak make Joke! Ha Ha.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Not being an Australian, you could be excused for your ignorance... Ford swept last year's V8supercars championship, and are on track to do it again this year. Holden for at least the last three years has had a hard time even placing. And you were right, you shouldn't have mentioned it.

As to the OP, I doubt we'll hear much more from them. Not sure of their motive, but... Not to know that staticice.com.au is one of the best pricing guides in AUS is fairly... Ummm.... Ignorant?

vasilli_65

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
static ice is okay but is sometimes hard to find what ur looking for i use staticice in conjunction with www.shopbot.com.au

I dont care if ford are winning V8 supercars .
The v8's got humiliated by 2 liter turbos so badly that you guys had to ban the 2 liter cars from your race series . Neither is much good on a race track which makes your comments kinda worthless . LOL .
But I know which one I'd rather drive on the road .

If I ever sell my 2 liter turbo that is .

But you are right about the OP not coming back . The thread is a wind up by a disfunctional 14 year old

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Huh??? Are you referring to the one race at Bathurst about 5 years ago when, under relaxed rules, a 3.5 litre AWD Nissan Skyline was allowed to compete? Don't recall the outcome of the Nissan, so it must have not been too memorable. Holden, as I recall (Skaife?) was first that year. Then there was the memorable year where a wallabee was collected by one driver, and the ensuing rubbish tip had five cars limping back into the pits... Followed a few laps later by another driver collecting a tyre through the front windscreen... (Was that Lowndes, or Ambrose?) Too bad you yanks can't watch any REAL racing...

The V8's compete on the same day as the F1's, same track, start of each F1 season, in Melbourne and have for several years now. V8's tend to lap the track (this past year) in 1:58 vs. the F1's 1:34. Not too bad for a car weighing almost 2.5 times as much. I'm sure that a few googles will find some other races on the same course with some of your favourite ricers on the same track, feel free to look them up.

Maybe you are not old enough to remember that it used to be called Touring Cars . European teams came to Aussie in the late '80s with their 2 liter turbos that make as much power and weight 300 kg less . Naturally neither ford or holden could compete since their cars couldn't accelerate as quickly and wouldnt corner any where near as well .
In the final year you guys even made the Turbos's carry ballast so the weight was the same [ LOL "racing" ] but the turbos still won easily because the weight was in the middle of the car and not a huge lump of an engine sitting over the front wheels creating under steer

So the V8 super cars series was born . Turbos banned . Cars slower .but a bigger noise which impresses some people

Im not an American . Im a kiwi
My girlfriend has a holden but thats a company car. I havent owned one for a while . The last was an HZ ute which is probably my favorite car ever

ozfordfreak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for all your suggestions...

And may I just point out that my name has nothing to do with a type of car.
The first system mentioned seems the best for my needs. I've priced the parts and should still have a bit left over after buying them.

Thanks for all your help guys.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

My partner is a Kiwi, so I can sympathise...:) I'd not drive many places in NZ with a V8, too many tight corners, not to mention metalled roads. We drove my beemer everywhere, best of both worlds in my opinion. Nice suspension, RWD. Only place where I ever felt it was under-powered was on the desert road, at night, when I was pretty sure no one was looking.... We shipped it to AUS when we moved over, as it was cheaper to keep it than sell / buy another.

Nephew's got a 623 with the sister engine of Brock's group c racer 623, sans turbos... Still goes like a bat, for a street legal vehicle.