  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
April 19, 2005 2:31:16 AM

I had a fellow living in a dorm at University. As he was all by
himself, I let his family name become the household name: "Stark".

I later moved in Angela and Lilith Pleasant, and later still Dustin
Broke and Dirk Dreamer into the same dorm. The household name remained
"Stark".

I've moved out Angela, Lilith, Dustin and Dirk and into their own
place, but the household name is still Stark. Can it be changed? I
can't see a way but it doesn't really seem like an appropriate
household name for these guys - none of them are nudists!

~*~
vecki

More about : changing household names

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:37:46 AM

vecki wrote:
> I had a fellow living in a dorm at University. As he was all by
> himself, I let his family name become the household name: "Stark".
>
> I later moved in Angela and Lilith Pleasant, and later still Dustin
> Broke and Dirk Dreamer into the same dorm. The household name
> remained "Stark".
>
> I've moved out Angela, Lilith, Dustin and Dirk and into their own
> place, but the household name is still Stark. Can it be changed? I
> can't see a way but it doesn't really seem like an appropriate
> household name for these guys - none of them are nudists!
>
> ~*~
> vecki

There's a hack available at MTS2 that supposedly allows the female to always
take the male's name when they marry, regardless of who's house they are in
when they do the deed. I haven't tried it yet, but it should change the
house name if the male moves in through marriage.

Jeanie
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:59:10 PM

That's not going to work with University dorm lots - the household name is
simply the one the household was first given. Nobody changes their actual
names as the OP probably found out. I think you could probably change it
with SimPE if you really want to as you seem to be able to change just about
everything else.

What is this obsession with changing names on marriage to that of the
husband? I was hoping that they'd make so it was optional in the game, as
in RL. In the west most cultures have the option to change your name on
marriage or not (at least if you are female). Personally, I didn't and
kept my own name which I like better than my husband's (he, in fact, would
have preferred to take my name because he likes it too, but his mother
nearly had a fit). But in other cultures, husband and wife simply don't
have the same names at all and there are other traditions for passing on
family names. Maybe it would suit people better if we got the option to
make the name changes ourselves.

Best wishes
Maxon

> vecki wrote:
> > I had a fellow living in a dorm at University. As he was all by
> > himself, I let his family name become the household name: "Stark".
> >
> > I later moved in Angela and Lilith Pleasant, and later still Dustin
> > Broke and Dirk Dreamer into the same dorm. The household name
> > remained "Stark".
> >
> > I've moved out Angela, Lilith, Dustin and Dirk and into their own
> > place, but the household name is still Stark. Can it be changed? I
> > can't see a way but it doesn't really seem like an appropriate
> > household name for these guys - none of them are nudists!
> >
> > ~*~
> > vecki
>
> There's a hack available at MTS2 that supposedly allows the female to
always
> take the male's name when they marry, regardless of who's house they are
in
> when they do the deed. I haven't tried it yet, but it should change the
> house name if the male moves in through marriage.
>
> Jeanie

April 19, 2005 4:18:55 PM

Maxon wrote:

> What is this obsession with changing names on marriage to that of the
> husband? I was hoping that they'd make so it was optional in the game, as
> in RL. In the west most cultures have the option to change your name on
> marriage or not (at least if you are female). Personally, I didn't and
> kept my own name which I like better than my husband's (he, in fact, would
> have preferred to take my name because he likes it too, but his mother
> nearly had a fit). But in other cultures, husband and wife simply don't
> have the same names at all and there are other traditions for passing on
> family names. Maybe it would suit people better if we got the option to
> make the name changes ourselves.

I'm with you, Maxon. I was wife #3. There had been enough Mrs. S
already, and I looked for my mother-in-law if they called me that. So
I'm Ms. Georg, thank you. :)

We talked for awhile about combining our surnames and making a new one,
or both taking an old family name of his that he was proud of. We did
agree that if we spawned, we'd give the kid that old family name.

-georg
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:30:28 PM

> That's not going to work with University dorm lots - the household name is
> simply the one the household was first given. Nobody changes their actual
> names as the OP probably found out. I think you could probably change it
> with SimPE if you really want to as you seem to be able to change just
about
> everything else.
>
> What is this obsession with changing names on marriage to that of the
> husband? I was hoping that they'd make so it was optional in the game, as
> in RL. In the west most cultures have the option to change your name on
> marriage or not (at least if you are female). Personally, I didn't and
> kept my own name which I like better than my husband's (he, in fact, would
> have preferred to take my name because he likes it too, but his mother
> nearly had a fit). But in other cultures, husband and wife simply don't
> have the same names at all and there are other traditions for passing on
> family names. Maybe it would suit people better if we got the option to
> make the name changes ourselves.

I don't think that vecki's problem is what surname the sims take after
marriage...
I think his problem is something that I hate as well of this game: I made a
family ok? Named "Dreamer". After some generations in that house there's no
more Dreamer at all, are all "Broke" or "Lotario" or something else, but the
house...
the house still says "Dreamer Family"! This is insane!
In my neighborhood there's not a single house with the name of the people
that actually live there.
With the TS2Enhancer it was possible to change the household name but
there's not an episode ready version of this program.
So I'm looking for a way to change the household name too.
No one know how????

ManuFla :)
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:38:09 PM

No - the OP specifically states it's a dorm lot not an ordinary household
lot she's asking about. Dorm lots usually take the name of the first
student to live there but the other students keep their own names as well.
I'm sure you could change the household name on ordinary lots with SimPE
though. Maybe you should find out? The comments about married names were

Best wishes
Maxon

"ManuFla" <manuqueen_togliere@tin.it> wrote in message
> > That's not going to work with University dorm lots - the household name
is
> > simply the one the household was first given. Nobody changes their
actual
> > names as the OP probably found out. I think you could probably change
it
> > with SimPE if you really want to as you seem to be able to change just
> about
> > everything else.
> >
> > What is this obsession with changing names on marriage to that of the
> > husband? I was hoping that they'd make so it was optional in the game,
as
> > in RL. In the west most cultures have the option to change your name on
> > marriage or not (at least if you are female). Personally, I didn't and
> > kept my own name which I like better than my husband's (he, in fact,
would
> > have preferred to take my name because he likes it too, but his mother
> > nearly had a fit). But in other cultures, husband and wife simply don't
> > have the same names at all and there are other traditions for passing on
> > family names. Maybe it would suit people better if we got the option to
> > make the name changes ourselves.
>
> I don't think that vecki's problem is what surname the sims take after
> marriage...
> I think his problem is something that I hate as well of this game: I made
> family ok? Named "Dreamer". After some generations in that house there's
no
> more Dreamer at all, are all "Broke" or "Lotario" or something else, but
the
> house...
> the house still says "Dreamer Family"! This is insane!
> In my neighborhood there's not a single house with the name of the people
> that actually live there.
> With the TS2Enhancer it was possible to change the household name but
> there's not an episode ready version of this program.
> So I'm looking for a way to change the household name too.
> No one know how????
>
> ManuFla :)

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:37:17 PM

Maxon wrote:
> That's not going to work with University dorm lots - the household
> name is simply the one the household was first given. Nobody changes
> their actual names as the OP probably found out. I think you could
> probably change it with SimPE if you really want to as you seem to be
> able to change just about everything else.
>
> What is this obsession with changing names on marriage to that of the
> husband? I was hoping that they'd make so it was optional in the
> game, as in RL. In the west most cultures have the option to change
> your name on marriage or not (at least if you are female).
> Personally, I didn't and kept my own name which I like better than
> my husband's (he, in fact, would have preferred to take my name
> because he likes it too, but his mother nearly had a fit). But in
> other cultures, husband and wife simply don't have the same names at
> all and there are other traditions for passing on family names.
> Maybe it would suit people better if we got the option to make the
> name changes ourselves.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

That's true, it would be nice to have the option. The only good reason I
can come up with is to infuse some new names into the game. It works if you
have someone marry a townie. If you don't, pretty soon you've got 20 houses
with only three last names in one neighborhood! LOL

Jeanie
!