Finglor

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Hi guys i just build my new system its a corei5 with 4gb 1600mhz ocz memory.Motherboard is asus p7p55d.
The memory is only recognized as 1066mhz and i have to set it to 1600mhz manually from bios with the help of asus' easy DRAM OC Mode.
Is there any risks of doing so or any performance gains?Why is the system seeing the rams as 1066mhz when everything is on auto/default?

Solution

No, just go into the BIOS and set the RAM speed. Now that the RAM controller is integrated into the CPU you don't have to overclock the CPU to get the RAM running at its rated speed.

Finglor

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Ok this is making me curious.I read on the net that core i5 supports only 1333mhz memory and anything higher will run in single channel.And that I have to overclock to fix it or sth.So what should I overclock the cpu or the ram?And what the heck is BCLK?

I don't know where you read that, but your RAM will NOT run in single channel mode above 1600MHz. The standard RAM voltage for DDR3 is 1.5v. Any RAM that's rated above that will be run underclocked until you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS. The motherboards have to do this for compatibility reasons or your system wouldn't boot at all with any RAM rated above 1.65v. Your described "problem" is completely normal.

No, just go into the BIOS and set the RAM speed. Now that the RAM controller is integrated into the CPU you don't have to overclock the CPU to get the RAM running at its rated speed.

Solution

Finglor

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Ok I set the ram to 1600 mhz and ran super pi and it gave an error called "round not exact" then after a while the system halted and rebooted so I installed a newer bios from asus's site and used the default mem speed and it completed super pi without a problem.
How can I be sure if the mems support 1600mhz?In cpuz in the SPD tab it says PC3-8500F(533MHZ) but these are 1600mhz sticks shouldnt it be like 800mhz?