Sign in with
Your question

New builds & Heatsink/fans

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2009 3:17:45 AM

It's been a while since I've posted here. But, I'm looking into a new build and had one basic question that I had after looking through the ocean of CPU heatsinks Y fans.

The question is this: With all the crazy shapes and sizes and whatnot with heatsinks, would this be an item best bought as the LAST item? That way you know what kind of space you'll have in the case and all your hardware connected. Or is the majority opinion to start the other way around and get the right cooler and make sure you buy a case, mb, etc, that will allow for it?

Just a thought I had and wondered what the consensus was on this these days. It seems overclocking with the newer hardware is almost a given these days which pretty much makes the aftermarket cpu cooler a given as well. I've always kept with stock settings and the factory coolers. So, in looking at all the amazing cooling solutions out there I came up with the question also of, why are some of these tall and skinny or short to and fat or some other variation? My thought was that I liked alot of them out there but I couldn't see choosing this one or that one without first KNOWING what my space requirements would be in the case. So, here I am again with the question:

Start with a badass cooler and work backward? Or, is it better to get the system together and find a cooler that meets your needs?

Thanks for your thoughts.

More about : builds heatsink fans

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2009 4:26:05 AM

over clocking is not normal outside the enthusiast community ... which this undoubtedly is

Yes the heat sink must fit the case and miss the northbridge heatsink and ram as well .
Height is often an issue too , so just like you have to consider the appropriate mb and ram for your cpu the heatsink is part of a total system .

http://www.frostytech.com/articles.cfm

May 8, 2009 5:38:47 AM

Well,
I would definitely consider myself an enthusiast. I just haven't been a fan of the minor performance gains, usually only noticeable on synthetic benchmarks, that OC'ing provided for the risks that came with it.

Lately, it just seems that the processors out there are pretty much designed for oc'ing. Hell, the manufacturers of the processors are making the oc capabilities of a chip the selling point by charging more for unlocked multipliers, etc. You get the point.

So, we end up with my scenario, where I'm looking to jump forward into my next gaming system with today's hardware. And I'm thinking I can do it for 700 or 800 bucks with proper choice of hardware and some minor OCing. However, said jump would probably require something more than stock cooling.

The problem is that I would most likely be buying the parts online via newegg or wherever. So, I'm just foreseeing that this might end up being that one !$#@ing thing that ends up driving me completely insane with RMAs and dremel "fixes" and maybe an aneurysm. ;)  So I'm just trying to head it off at the pass.

I suppose I will just either choose the parts and deal with the issues as they come or maybe wander Frye's and the damn computer fair to get first hand looks at the products prior to buying them.

This turned into a really long post... I think I have to cut down the caffeine.

Need to power down and unplug. :sleep: 

thx for humoring me.

!