Is my video card broken?

wesyu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
i have this abnormal pattern and line on my screen suddently.
i restarted my computer, and this error pattern displayed on my screen before my computer starts to load windows.
i did some troubleshotting, and i exclude the problem come from monitor. screen is clean when i connect it to my laptop.
i run hardware stress test, and it displays 2D graphics video memory corruption
is it my video card's error, motherboard, or else?

thanks

3571725049_4accebdb1a_o.jpg

wesyu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
no yet, how can i use onboard graphics?

i never oc, but the video card began to crash couple months ago when i play games. it ati 1900 aiw, and i installed 1900 xt heatsink on it couple years ago, and it has a lot of dust in it now.

thanks

Helltech

Distinguished
Try taking out the graphics card and seeing if you still have the problem with onboard graphics.

While you have it out of there clean out the dust, I doubt its the problem but thats always healthy for the computer.

If you don't have the problem without the graphics card, then plug it back in. Maybe it just needed to be reseated (highly doubtful).

After that try updating the drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.12&contentType=GPU+Download+Detail&ostype=&keywords=&items=20

See if any of that works for you.

wesyu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
but my motherboard panel doesnt have any connections for dvi or analog monitor cable...
i have another video card, can i just take out x1900 and insert another video on motherboard and see if it works?

thanks

cybergunkoo81

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Try this

1.uninstall your vga driver
2.unplug your current vga
3.set the bios option to get it to run with onboard graphic (alternatively you can reset the bios and pick the best performance option. Refer to the mobo manual on how to reset bios)

see if things change.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
If you got another vid. card try it. As that will take away a lot of trouble shooting. MY 6800 gt did the same thing, it was the card. My brothers 6800 gt did the same thing, it was the card..

wesyu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
i have Interl 945Psn motherboard and i also have a spare x700 video card.
i tried to plug x700 on the motherboard, but monitor couldnt get any signal.

i have a ghost image which is saved before i installed x1900 and its drivers. would that work?

thanks

wesyu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
hi
i tried to plug x700 again, and this time it works. i no longer have graphics corruption on my screen. i guess last time i didnt plug it correctly.

thanks guys.