Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Regor vs Wolfdale, which is better?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 7:11:42 PM

HEy all,

I am looking to upgrade my computer as it is slow as hell .........(1.2 ghz celeron tualatin)

Any way i am gettinga new mobo, CPU, RAM, and Case/PSU

I was considering a wolfdale e5200 but i recently switched to the Regor Athlon II X2, it is cheaper but clocked higher with the same cache as the wolfdale. and the mobo is also cheaper

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Athlon Regor X2 240 AM3

how is this processor compared to the wolfdale?

Any replies are welcome and please reply if u read my question]

Thanks

More about : regor wolfdale

August 11, 2009 7:18:19 PM

if you are gonna go amd then get the 550 as it runs circles around 250 regor if your motherboard is gonna be a 710 or higher SB then you might be able to unlock the 2 other cores on the 550. gigabyte has a 84.99 motherboard that can unlock the cores if you get a good one not all are good 4 core chips with only 2 locked.
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 7:18:37 PM

but what are the benefits and advantages over each other? and disadvantages?

like the Regor comes with VT
The e5200 doesn't

the e5200 is great for OCing
is the Regor good for OCing?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 7:21:58 PM

I am going to use a gigabyte mobo with a 785g chipsetbut i want to spend under 300 on this upgrade
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 7:55:42 PM

i seen a 250 run solid at 3.855ghz 24/7
a c 108 à CPUs
August 11, 2009 8:08:03 PM

Upendra09 said:
I am going to use a gigabyte mobo with a 785g chipsetbut i want to spend under 300 on this upgrade


Check this puppy out
a c 99 à CPUs
August 11, 2009 8:34:22 PM

Upendra09 said:
HEy all,

I am looking to upgrade my computer as it is slow as hell .........(1.2 ghz celeron tualatin)


Ah, the Tualeron. They were pretty good chips back in the day and still can work well as the brains behind a standard-def HTPC or file server. My file server has a PIII 1.0B Coppermine, which is a bit older and noticeably slower than your 1.2 Tualatin.

Quote:
Any way i am gettinga new mobo, CPU, RAM, and Case/PSU

I was considering a wolfdale e5200 but i recently switched to the Regor Athlon II X2, it is cheaper but clocked higher with the same cache as the wolfdale. and the mobo is also cheaper

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Athlon Regor X2 240 AM3

how is this processor compared to the wolfdale?

Any replies are welcome and please reply if u read my question]

Thanks


The Athlon II X2 240 is faster at stock speeds than the Pentium Dual Core E5200. The E5200 can overclock a little farther than the X2 240, but it's not a huge margin. Most people who OC E5200s run them a little over 4 GHz and most Athlon II overclockers run their at just a little under 4 GHz. So all in all, I would pick the Athlon II X2 240 if I was not intending to overclock, since it's faster at stock and the parts are less expensive. If I was going to overclock, the E5200 is a little faster but a little more expensive, so it's a toss-up.
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2009 9:22:40 PM

The AMD Athlon II X2 240 is faster than the E5200 when both are at stock speeds. The E5200 overclocks better though and thus should come out on top with both oveclocked. Of course, overclocking the E5200 as such requires the investment of a good board (cheap boards have trouble taking it over 3.0Ghz) while the 240 can make do with a cheaper board to overclock reasonably well.
a c 99 à CPUs
August 11, 2009 9:37:01 PM

megamanx00 said:
The AMD Athlon II X2 240 is faster than the E5200 when both are at stock speeds. The E5200 overclocks better though and thus should come out on top with both oveclocked. Of course, overclocking the E5200 as such requires the investment of a good board (cheap boards have trouble taking it over 3.0Ghz) while the 240 can make do with a cheaper board to overclock reasonably well.


Probably the best cheap-overclocking CPU would be the Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition as it has an unlocked multiplier. You can run it with cheap RAM that won't overclock worth a crap and on inexpensive motherboards that are poor HT clock overclockers. Any inexpensive 780G board with CPU Vcore controls and support for 140 W CPUs should be plenty to put a good overclock on the 550BE. However, the 550BE is about twice the price of the Athlon II 240, so it's a thought.
August 11, 2009 10:06:47 PM

I'd go with the regor over the wolfdale if I were you. the Regor is an AM3 chip and will be able to be used in a wider range of mobos, especially in the future. AMD is also coming out with a lot of chips very comparable to the intel chips at a budget friendly price. So you could upgrade to a Phenom II X2, X3, or X4 later on if you feel your rig needs a little extra speed.
August 12, 2009 12:10:47 AM

the most important question is, what will you be using this for?
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 1:14:21 AM

noollig said:
I'd go with the regor over the wolfdale if I were you. the Regor is an AM3 chip and will be able to be used in a wider range of mobos, especially in the future. AMD is also coming out with a lot of chips very comparable to the intel chips at a budget friendly price. So you could upgrade to a Phenom II X2, X3, or X4 later on if you feel your rig needs a little extra speed.


That is what i thought, it is good for upgrading but also good for now.

Uses:

gaming, mild, just those download games that are color intensive

heavy web surfing lots of tabs open on firefox and chrome + researching (around 8 -9 tabs at a time)

Word docs open about 4-5 every time

and future upgradibility

for under $300

i have an optical drive, HDD from old comp. IS ULTRADMA COMPATIBLE WITH THIS MOBO? IDK THE TYPE OF CONNECTION IT REQUIRES. PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION, I HAVE ASKED IT SEVERAL TIMES AND NO ONE ANSWERS ME.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
gigabyte mobo AM3 mATX

RAM is OCZ 4 gigs @800 mhz

case Antec w/ 430 watt psu

I need some good RAM overall upradibility, which is why i switched from my former e5200 setup to this, i can upgrade to a phenom II down the lane. or whatever new comes out
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 1:23:22 AM

can't tell on the regor core if ur talking about that.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 2:04:29 AM

what do u mean? i haven't bought anything yet i am just looking.
August 12, 2009 2:16:48 AM

Well According to PassMark, the E5200 will be slightly faster than the Athlon II 240, but for whatever reason, if you get a Athlon II 245, ($65) you get a significant performance increase. This is all according to PassMark tests.

So I would lean towards the Athlon because it is based on a newer more efficient platform and there is much more upgradeability with AM3 being a new thing.


PassMark Scores:

Intel E5200 ($65): 1260
Intel E6300 ($83): 1811
AMD AII 240 ($60): 1174
AMD AII 245 ($65): 1796
AMD AII 250 ($75): 1729 < Lower score than 245.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 5:24:55 AM

@ habitat, that's what i was thinking about too, either waiting for the new i5 i3 to come out or just AMD for a few years
a c 702 à CPUs
August 12, 2009 6:45:56 AM

Go with the AM3 setup. At least then you will have yourself open to future upgrades. S775 is a dead end. i3 is just a rebrand of core 2 from what I have heard.
a c 702 à CPUs
August 12, 2009 8:15:40 AM

habitat87 said:
No, it's actually i7 with one less memory controller and dmi instead of qpi. With different features and the option of dual and quad core.

I think it's going to be a good overclocker if they don't limit these chips.

Once I see that they do that, I am going to go right back to my e8600 plan. Lol!

775 isn't really a dead end if nothing else can really compare to it's capabilities.



This is the last I had seen on it and did not give it anymore thought afterwards with regards to i3. If this is now no longer correct then I apologize. S775 is dead due to no upgrade path either way. AM3 and S1366 currently do have an upgrade path. Even AM2+ is a bit better upgrade wise over S775 since AMD AM2+ 790 and some older chipsets support AM3 chips with just a bios update.

http://www.techpowerup.com/97604/Details_on_Intel_s_Cor...
a c 124 à CPUs
August 12, 2009 3:38:15 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=96&p2=66
The Regor 250 beats the E5200 at most things, but that's stock, and the E5200 OCs very well. For the cost of the E5200 and the decent cooler needed to OC it, you can get a 550BE which also overclocks well enough on its stock cooler to still beat the E5200. So for you, since you are getting a new mobo, the E5200 is a non-answer.
August 12, 2009 4:08:27 PM

If you're spending the money on a 785g, get yourself a Phenom II 550. It will overclock nicely and you may be able to unlock the 3-4 cores.
August 12, 2009 5:50:27 PM

If you haven't bought anything yet you should wait for tomorrow. The new Athlon II X4 and Phenom II X4 965 BE are scheduled to be released on Aug 13th so there may be a price drop on some of the chips already out or maybe some new combo deals that will give you more options for your upgrade.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2009 6:16:05 PM

^^ Thanks alot, i needed that info, but is the Athlon IIX4 going to be worth it? are there any benchmarks yet?
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 1:57:24 PM

well i heard the Athlon II X4 are out but i don't see them anywhere, but the 965BE is on Newegg.com
August 14, 2009 3:06:01 PM

Athlon II X4 release is now Aug 23rd. Looks like I gave some bad info earlier, sorry about that.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2009 3:23:11 PM

its alright, i am not building soon anyway
August 29, 2009 1:55:11 AM

Whats more interesting than the 240, 550, E5300 or E6300 are two chips:-

Athlon II X2 240e -- Dual Core -- 2.8GHz/2M-L2/45nm -- 45 W

and

Athlon II X4 605e -- Quad Core -- 2.3GHz/2M-L2/45nm -- 45W

The 240e is 20 watts less than the 240. It's the same die and clock speed as the 65W 240 meaning it is bin sorted to be able to run at lower voltages. This usually means that it is a select quality part which -- at the same voltages as you would overclock a 240 at -- will probably run at faster clock speeds.

The 605e is basically Phenom without the L3, so 4 x cores with 512MB L2 each. 2.3GHz at 45 watts. Again, being bin selected to run at low voltages, it'll probably overclock better than the 65W rated counterparts.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 2:35:24 AM

when is the Athlon IIx4 coming out?
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 2:40:47 AM

I got a cheap P35 and stuck an E5300 (SLB9U) in it and run it @ 3.46 on stock voltage. Good little performer. Chews through the games with a decent graphics card.

In hindsight I probably should have got the E5200 though.

The main reason for stepping away from the LGA775 to an AM3 compatable mobo is the upgrade path ... perhaps getting a cheap dual core now and overclocking it, but having the option of sticking a faster quad core in it (which is also cheaper than comparable i7 or LGA775 quad core cpu's).

MU's post is worth reading again - the BE cores allow you to put much less stress on the RAM and Mobo too.

I like the 550 for that reason.

The regor has comparable IPC to the core2 Penryns with 2MB cache (E5xxx).
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 2:45:33 AM

that's good and all but where is it and when is it coming out!???!??!
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 3:05:22 AM

well can't find it on newegg, nor ur link, i meant the quad core athlons reynod, stop stoning your cat
August 29, 2009 4:57:01 AM

Very soon... very very soon.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 11:10:18 AM

Upendra09 said:
when is the Athlon IIx4 coming out?


Who knows?

Reynod said:
I got a cheap P35 and stuck an E5300 (SLB9U) in it and run it @ 3.46 on stock voltage. Good little performer. Chews through the games with a decent graphics card.


Reynod! I thought you were AMD Special Forces... what made you switch to the darkside?

Anyways, the e6300 is rough par clock for clock with my e4300 which also performs about the same as Regor chips clock for clock, it's just that I use Photoshop alot so I bought Intel (well got given by a nice forum member)
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 11:10:24 AM

dwightlooi said:
Whats more interesting than the 240, 550, E5300 or E6300 are two chips:-

Athlon II X2 240e -- Dual Core -- 2.8GHz/2M-L2/45nm -- 45 W

and

Athlon II X4 605e -- Quad Core -- 2.3GHz/2M-L2/45nm -- 45W

The 240e is 20 watts less than the 240. It's the same die and clock speed as the 65W 240 meaning it is bin sorted to be able to run at lower voltages. This usually means that it is a select quality part which -- at the same voltages as you would overclock a 240 at -- will probably run at faster clock speeds.

The 605e is basically Phenom without the L3, so 4 x cores with 512MB L2 each. 2.3GHz at 45 watts. Again, being bin selected to run at low voltages, it'll probably overclock better than the 65W rated counterparts.


Ever heard of undervolting?

It beats spending more for an EE chip.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 11:23:02 AM

I didn't go to the dark side - they approached me.

a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 11:26:24 AM

They only reason I like AMD is that when I killed my BE-2400, they offered a replacement... Phenom II X4 style.

Other than that I enjoy my e4300 :p 
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 2:28:19 PM

traitor!! how dare u deceive AMD, ........ THEY NEED YOUR MONEY!!!! OR ELSE THEY WILL DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 12:30:57 AM

True.

Casts hex on AFG ...

*shazamm *
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 3:01:54 AM

Back to the topic, reynod your link show no propus core
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 6:13:50 AM

Just the x2 ... sorry ... realised that afterwards.

Nothing yet on AMD.com either.

Wait ... twill check with Charlie.
August 30, 2009 6:58:54 AM

It won't be long now. And, I can tell you (1st hand) that the 605e does run at 2.3GHz and 45W. It also didn't crash for 4 days straight at full load with a case temperature of 83 degree C (which is higher than its rated tCase) and the ambient temperature being 45 deg C.
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2009 1:51:21 PM

Underclock it!
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2009 2:37:57 PM

what is it with the new avatars?


Hey the propus is on Newegg. but way over my budget, for procs, i guess i will stick with the 240 which is half the price of the propus, FYI the propus is currently 126 USD, this is the 3rd day in a row it has gone up, it was 123 when i say it and now it is 126
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2009 10:38:06 AM

We Aussies don't care about Newegg.

Ain't gonna help us.

USD, not helpful.
!