MA785GM-US2H: Optical Drive Not Recognized

one800

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I recently built a system with a Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H and an AMD Phenom II 550. Here's the rest of the system:

Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H
AMD Phenom II 550, now a quad
3 GB DDR2 800
(2) Seagate Barracuda 320GB
Lite-On DVD-CD-RW Disc Drive

Clearing the CMOS will somehow allow the DVD drive to appear under "Detecting IDE Devices...", and subsequent restarts will not change that.

However, when the system is turned off and then powered on, the DVD drive is not recognized after nearly a minute of "Detecting IDE Devices...".

The Hard Drives are attached to SATA2_0 and SATA_2 on the board; the DVD drive is attached to SATA2_1.

Obviously I don't want to clear CMOS after every shutdown; your help is appreciated.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

I dont get what you are saying(i have marked it in bold)You will need to clear CMOS if you had a power issue,overheating, problems after overclocking cpu problems...,so it will reset everything to default.
have you tried to connect it to sata2_2? or a different port, just make sure you are pluging it to the next port your system is attached to. make sure it will appear on the bios as slave,not as master,

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
If the 785 is like most Gigabyte boards you can move it to SATA 4 or 5 and have independent modes which differ from the harddrive settings. Connectors 0,1,2,3 can be set to any mode while 4,5 can use any mode independent of the first four. Short of that I would suspect a faulty cable going to the optical drive.

bilbat

Splendid
This one has only five channels; put your hard drives on channels SATA2_0, and SATA2_1, move your DVD to SATA2_4; configure your BIOS, on the "Integrated Peripherals" page:
"OnChip IDE Channel" to "Disabled" (as you're not using it anyway - no sense 'wasting' the interrupt...)
"OnChip SATA Controller" to "Enabled"
"OnChip SATA Type" to "Native IDE" (assuming your pair of HDDs are not in a RAID...)
"OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type" should work either way - you probably want to try "IDE" first...

one800

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009

It didn't work, but I'll swap out the DVD drive's SATA cable with one I got with the motherboard and see what happens.

one800

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
On an unrelated note, I have an HP card reader (internal) I am having trouble finding a place on the board to hook it up. It requires a four pin connector slot, I believe. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Connected it to F_USB2 and it works!@!