Let's Talk: Is it time for DDR3?

Starting the last week or so, DDR2 prices have risen, while DDR3 prices have dropped. Case in point:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 CAS 7 $60 free shipping

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) CAS 5 $65 no free shipping.

Comparable RAM but the DDR2 actually costs MORE.

Surely, this means buying an AM3 board for a Phenom II now makes perfect sense.

What about LGA 775?

Here we have the most popular P45 board currently, in both DDR2 and DDR3 flavors:
Gigabyte UD3Ps

So, why not? As was mentioned in a thread tonight... what if you want to upgrade to 8GB in the future? Will you pay a premium for obsolete DDR2?

You are right . DDR3 is todays RAM

I guess we were spoiled for a while by the cheap DDR2 that was being dumped on the market as DDR3 became mainstream

[ having said that I wouldnt bother with ddr3 on a c2d or c2q build , but with Pll its the sensible choice ]
just watch the timings ... some ddr3 isnt worth it at any price

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Good observation Proximon - looks like DDR3 is becoming the mainstream standard now. I'm gonna make sure to take that into consideration from now on. As for bothering to use DDR3 in a c2d or c2q build - looks like Proximon's references make a good argument for that as well. After all, if the DDR3 board is only $10 more and the RAM is cheaper, why not get DDR3? Then you can transfer it to your core i5 build when you get there...

Are they truly comparable boards? I think so. After all, the P45 chipset already has DDR3 capability built in... It's not much more than a different BIOS version and a different physical memory slot.

I'm really talking here because I'm an old fart and resistant to change... I need more agreement :)

I agree that the DDR3 era has begun. We knew it would happen as soon as both Intel and AMD released CPU's with DDR3 support. I think I'll pick up another 4GB DDR2 kit for my computer before the prices go through the roof. I've started playing with virtual machines, so the more RAM the better! :)

People building computers tend to use them for 3 years or more , maybe with upgrades but often not . If you build a C2d or c2q system today by the time its 3 years old ddr3 will be in the process of being replaced by [ presumably ] DDR4
Combine that with the 775 platform not gaining benefits from faster RAM the way Phenom and i7 do and I think thats a compelling argument to use ddr2 on a socket 775 build UNLESS ddr3 is cheaper

I don't know about you guys, but I ended up moving from 2 to 4 GB of RAM in about 2 years. If in two years 8 GB is a good upgrade, then DDR3 would be the way to go today.

If there's a new RAM standard in 4 years though, it's not going to make much difference today.