Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire overheat and 16x vs 8x question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2009 3:12:42 PM

Hi I've got a gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard with two Sapphire HD4870 toxic graphic cards. In order to put them both in PCIe x16 slots they are virtually touching. I just tested it playing crysis on all high settings for 15mins then quit and temp of one card was 90degrees- there is no gap above the fan on one card. Question is, should I put one card in the x8 slot which would improve airflow? How will this effect the benefit of crossfire setup? If I continue with current setup will it damage the card? Thanks for reading
June 3, 2009 5:40:17 PM

fill_d said:
Hi I've got a gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard with two Sapphire HD4870 toxic graphic cards. In order to put them both in PCIe x16 slots they are virtually touching. I just tested it playing crysis on all high settings for 15mins then quit and temp of one card was 90degrees- there is no gap above the fan on one card. Question is, should I put one card in the x8 slot which would improve airflow? How will this effect the benefit of crossfire setup? If I continue with current setup will it damage the card? Thanks for reading

i would put it in the 8x slot and it seems you have no other alternative but to do just that

that was a dangerous temperature to be at with NO airflow

try out the 8x slot...the only difference is that it will be using half its potential(just that one card)

Uber :D 
June 3, 2009 5:50:28 PM

Was going to do this but then realised the 8X slot is so close to edge of the board which has various front panel wires connected to it that it doesn't fit because of the fan casing. Looks like best bet is to go with one card and forget Crossfire- not great design, god knows how you're supposed to run a 3 card setup!
Related resources
June 3, 2009 7:01:12 PM

You need a bigger case with better air flow... That's the way to runa crossfire or SLI setup and keep temps and reasonable levels.
October 7, 2010 10:01:35 AM

fill_d, sorry to bring this back from the dead but I was wondering if you have had any problem with continuing to run these two cards in such close proximity? I also have the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 and have a second HD 4870 on the way so I can use 3 monitors.

Really crossing my fingers that this will work with these two cards touching.

Thanks for any feedback

PS my case is the Antec Nine hundred
October 7, 2010 12:25:08 PM

I have 2 4870s on my Asrock 880G extreme 3 board and there nearly touching and they run hot but are OK
October 7, 2010 12:51:22 PM

Thanks for this! I guess I should just hope I have decent airflow through this case. How do u see the gpu temps anyway? Through CCC? Thx
October 7, 2010 6:09:29 PM

8x vs 16x, your looking at about a 3-5% difference for the 4870. I would go with the 16x/8x config to bring your temps down, a new case is not nessesarily going to solve your heat problem. Reconfiguring the cards to be farther apart is probly your best bet. I have a micro atx crossfire board by msi and i run 2 5770s right next to each other with no problems. Also turn your fans up to 80% plus if you have not already
!