Sign in with
Your question

Weird E6550 Overclock Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
March 1, 2011 7:39:17 AM

Just installed a gtx 560, and kept my 8800gt as a ded physx card. Had my e6550 at 3.1ghz, auto everything, at 1.29v.

I recently tried to up the overclock to ~3.4. I raised vcore to 1.33, upped NB to 1.349, upped the RAM voltage to 2.17 (weird volts on this board), and made sure to adjust the RAM's fsb accordingly. It's at 1:1, and the timings are 4-4-4-12. It is 4GB of Patriot Mem rated at 800mhz, and can be overclocked as high as 1100mhz. They are in A1 and B1, or the nearest to my processor... if that could ever make a difference.

Have an ASUS P5N-E 650i chipset. Tried to boot at 3.4... didn't POST. Turned off/on and I continued without going into BIOS again. Computer booted... with the vcore voltage set at 1.33, but the default settings went back to everything else, and my cpu was running at 2.33ghz when I checked it in windows and cpu-z.

Lowered a little... and would never even boot. Back to 3.1ghz, boot, but with same problem as 3.4. Now it won't even boot at 2.9ghz. Actually POST's, but after says a windows start file is corrupt, and I either need to reset defaults or insert windows install disc and click "repair computer."

What's happening?! Is the power draw from the 2 cards affecting something?! Should I change anything else in BIOS? Ahh! :fou: 

Any advice is much appreciated all. Thanks
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2011 7:44:20 PM

You do increase the power usage on the 12v rails when adding new video cards, included on that 12v rail is your motherboards 24pin connector and the 4 or 8 pin by the CPU. If you PSU doesnt have enough power, or has rather poor voltage regulation you can see problems like this.

What model is your PSU?

If you remove the 560 and try going back to the volts and frequencies you used before does the OC work?
m
l
March 2, 2011 1:50:49 AM

Snipergod87 said:
You do increase the power usage on the 12v rails when adding new video cards, included on that 12v rail is your motherboards 24pin connector and the 4 or 8 pin by the CPU. If you PSU doesnt have enough power, or has rather poor voltage regulation you can see problems like this.

What model is your PSU?

If you remove the 560 and try going back to the volts and frequencies you used before does the OC work?

Thanks for the reply, just got home and am gonna try some things but will wait to see if anyone has any ideas.

PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer ESP, 610 watts. Very solid.

It's a bit of a pain to open up my computer, so I'm not going to check if the OC still works with the single card. Also forgot to mention earlier that the 8800 is powered by a 2x 4pin molex to 6 pin adapter and the 560 is powered by 2 regular 6 pins... if that makes any difference.

It's just weird what's happening, as I've never heard or read about it before. Is it normal for a computer to reset certain things if it doesn't POST at first, but POSTS after a restart? Why wouldn't the OC work now? I manually set the timings on my RAM, maybe should set that back to auto?

I really don't know what to do. Reset CMOS battery? Burn the thing and start over? Get a new hobby?!

:( 
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 6:37:18 AM

Romeka Bonaface said:
Is it normal for a computer to reset certain things if it doesn't POST at first, but POSTS after a restart?

For some motherboards, yes.

Try decreasing the memory clock so you are running at a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio.
m
l
March 4, 2011 7:27:41 AM

I am running at 1:1 jsc.

I fixed the OC back to 3.2ghz.

It's the board. It won't take RAM higher than 800 and it doesn't like if if you manually go over 900. I'm running at 914 and am occasionally getting crashes in games I rarely, if ever, crashed before. Prime was stable for about an hour though... so I dunno.

Can't do anything about it :( . Maybe see what all this 2011 fuss is about later down the road.
m
l
!