Asus P7P55D PRO RAID 0 + Non-RAID

kramzurc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hello,

I just finished building a computer. I had set up my boot drive (2x250GB SATA II 7200rpm) on a RAID 0 configuration and i am planning to add another drive (a non-RAID drive just for data storage) soon.

The motherboard manual says "Due to chipset limitation, when set any of SATA ports to RAID mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode together."

My question is, is there a workaround on this so i can add another internal drive (non-RAID) to my system?

Thank you

-------------

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D PRO
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.66Ghz
Memory: 8Gb (4x2Gb) Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz

Solution
I have this same MB that I am building right now.

If memory serves, there is a single sata port that is on the Jmicron SATA/PATA controller (not part of the raid ports) that should be usable for your storage drive. I think its the black one.

borged

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
I have this same MB that I am building right now.

If memory serves, there is a single sata port that is on the Jmicron SATA/PATA controller (not part of the raid ports) that should be usable for your storage drive. I think its the black one.

Solution

kramzurc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

it worked! thank you!

diablotim

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

But the Jmicron port is supposed to be the e-sata port. So if you want to keep that one free for front pannel plugin for instance, is there any way to still build a configuration with say:
- 1xHD as system drive, bootable, non-RAID
- 2xHD storage, in RAID1 for inst

Can it not simply work like that? even if you don't configure the sole system drive in a RAID? The RAID controller should be able to handle single drives no?
When I tried (configured my disks in RAID after having installed winxp 32) POST told me that a bootable drive could not be found (even after checking the boot sequence in the BIOS).

Or, if mandatory, is it not possible to build a "RAID array" with only 1 drive for the system drive?

pooh_god

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
I was all cheery and happy untill I stumbled upon this. So what your saying is if you set up a RAID 0 array, for my instance I used 2 x hitachi 500GB hard drives and later want to add a 1 or 1.5 TB drive for storage I can't do this? I have a cooler master RC-690 case and right now I"m using the black port for my case eSata connection. Am I screwed cause right now I'm not seeing the benefit of RAID. Boot time isn't that fast but the only thing I have on this computer atm is Win 7, ESET antivirus and thats it.

G

not sure if the pro version is the same as the evo version, on the evo version there is a esata port on the back so you can use that for your esata connection just enable AHCI under J-micron esata/pata controller item in bios. You then should be able to set up your raid array and later add a single (for storage) to your black onboard port. Im preety new to all this and this is just a theory. Would love feedback on this.

On any ICHxR controller that I've worked with, you normally can add non RAID drives when configured for RAID. I have a system configured for RAID and a few non RAID hard disks. They just aren't members of a RAID and Intel Matrix Storage Manager shows them as non RAID. There's no need to use the JMicron controller unless all ICHxR SATA ports are used.