Multiple connections on one cable....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hey! I'm building my first custom rig now, and I'm a little confused about he PSU cables.

1) I have 2 SATA power cables running from my PSU and they each have 4 connections. The only things I need to connect to these are my SSD and ODD. Do I need to use a separate cable fro each of them or can I connect them both to one cable?

2) Same question as above, but with the molex connectors for the fans and f_panel.

3) On my mobo, there's a 4 pin male connector labled sys_fan1. Can I connect a fan with a 3 pin female connector to it?

4) Do need to connect the ATX 12v from the mobo to the PSU even though I already have the 24 pin connected?

5) Pwr_fan. Is this any different from any of the sys_fans?

Thanks!
--Hayden

Solution
1&2. You can connect both of them on one cable, there is no problem with using all of the connectors on a cable. Only use a second cable if you run out of connectors or need to run power to a completely different section of the case(like a top fan and front fans may need to be on separate molex cables)

3. A 3 pin fan can be connected to a 4 pin header, and a 4 pin connector can use a 3 pin header, it will just lose its PWM(speed control) feature.

4. The ATX 12V is for the CPU, that is where all of the CPU power comes from, the 24 pin only powers the motherboard and expansion slots but not the CPU.

5. Pwr_fan is for PSUs that have a connector coming off of them to allow you to adjust the fan speed of the PSU, most PSUs don't have...
1&2. You can connect both of them on one cable, there is no problem with using all of the connectors on a cable. Only use a second cable if you run out of connectors or need to run power to a completely different section of the case(like a top fan and front fans may need to be on separate molex cables)

3. A 3 pin fan can be connected to a 4 pin header, and a 4 pin connector can use a 3 pin header, it will just lose its PWM(speed control) feature.

4. The ATX 12V is for the CPU, that is where all of the CPU power comes from, the 24 pin only powers the motherboard and expansion slots but not the CPU.

5. Pwr_fan is for PSUs that have a connector coming off of them to allow you to adjust the fan speed of the PSU, most PSUs don't have this connector and control their speed internally. You should be able to use it to power a case fan if you wanted to, i have never tried.

Solution

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Ok, so if I connect a 3 pin fan to a 4 pin header, it'll lose its pwm, or just the other way around?

Status
Not open for further replies.