430W PS enough for OC Phenom II 550 Callisto + eVGA 7900 GS KO OC?

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Im planning to upgrade my PC and see if I can keep my current Antec Neo Power 430 power supply for my new build:

-Antec neo power 430 watts with 25 amps on 12v rail
-eVGA 7900 gs KO factory overclocked (needs 20 amps on the 12v rail)
-Phenom II 550 callisto at 80w stock power consumption- this will be overclocked hopefully up to 3.7 ghz
-GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD motherboard
-filling my ram slots with a total of 8 GB at 1066 mhz (not overclocked)
-just 1 hard drive and maybe 1 or 2 dvd-rom drives

So I'm wondering if my power supply is good enough to power that overclocked video card (20 amps) and that overclocked cpu (unknown amount of amps)

Details about the power supply here:
http://silentpcreview.com/article273-page1.html

Basically it can output 430 watts at 50 degrees celsius and the review says it can output 25 amps on the 12v rail.

question 1 Do you guys think I can safely run my new build with my current power supply?

question 2 And what if I went even further and also unlocked the 2 dormant cores of the Phenom II X2 550 and turn it into a quad core, would the quad core at 3.7 GHZ overclocked consume more power and would the antec neo power 430w PS handle this?

question 3 How would the CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W handle the builds of question 1 and question 2?

info about the corsair power supply:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

Thanks for any info. This will be my first overclocked cpu and I'm looking forward to it. It seems really easy to do with bios interface and simply changing the multiplier.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Personally I'd go with Corsair. Good quality stuff. You should be safe with a 450w from corsair.

Why don't you put that money spent on wasted ram into a better graphics card? Stick with 4GB, unless your a professional photo/video editor, etc.

You are fine but don't push the PSU anymore.....

If you plan on installing anything else I would recommend you upgrade the PSU......

The corsair is superior and will handle just fine, take volks advice.......

Fixed a couple of items
Yes
It should

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
It would work but don't plan on adding much more stuff and you probably won't be able to unlock the other two cores (at least not with a heavy overclock) and to delluser, yes it only uses 5 amps but the 20 amps is the reccomended amps to have because a gpu isn't the only thing that uses the 12v rail, you probably know that but some begginer might not.

1) Yes

2) The overclocked quad would consume more power assuming that you needed a higher voltage to keep it stable. Your PSU would handle it just fine.

3) The Corsair is more efficient and would lower your power bill, but that's about it ^_^.

The Antec neo power 430W is a good unit and is more than enough. The 7900GS recommends 20A on the 12v rail in case you have a power hungry system or got a really cheap PSU (Rosewill), since such a cheap unit should have at least such a rating to prevent problems. After all 20A on the 12v rail is 240W and the lowly 7900GS sure as heck doesn't use that much. Anyway the 7900GS won't use too much power on it's own as DellUser1 points out.

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

Cool, if it's not broken, don't fix it :D I'll keep my Antec Neo Power 430 then. I got it for 50 dollars CAN like 1 year ago at a local store, when the CAN dollar wasn't that strong so I got an even better deal for it than what I would have gotten at newegg

Alright, thanks for the info everyone :D I learned something from each of your posts.

I used to think that the eVGA 7900 GS was a heavy power consumer since it requires a PCI-E power cable, as opposed to my friend's 4670 who doesn't need one.

I'll definitely keep the corsair PS in mind if me or a friend need a 2nd PS, right now the price for it at newegg is really good and as you guys said it's a great product.

thelivingflesh

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Get a Corsair 520.
They make sure that the output remains 520 (80+).
GS uses less power as compared to GT. GTX.
On a 620 you can run even a GTX285 will no problems.

Even a 400Watt from Corsair will do.
OR a BFG.