4770 Graphics Flickering in Games

jonathan142

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hello, recently I bought a HIS 4770 graphics card. The problem is, when I play some games I get a bizarre graphical error, where random textures on the screen will flicker black and white, and sometimes red. This happens in most games, eg Left4Dead, Empire Total War, Fallout 3. Games where I haven't seen it are Warcraft 3 and Killing Floor. I've tried the 9.5 Catalyst drivers but they don't fix the problem, and I've used driver cleaner to get rid of my old video drivers. I use the catalyst control center program to check temperatures and the video card is not just overheating. I have no idea why this is, and my attempts to google the problem never come up with a solution (I assume because the card is so new very few people have bought the card to have this problem yet). Do you think the card is broken? Maybe it's my motherboard?

Thanks for the help.

jonathan142

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I have a AMD Athlon x2 4200+ processor, 2Gb RAM, Antec Earthwatts EA500 500W PSU, and a HIS 4770 video card. I did check the temperature of the card under heavy use, and it's about 65 degrees Celsius, which seems fine to me. increasing the fan speed didn't help at all. Because of this, I didn't think under clocking would do anything if temperature wasn't the problem. However, I underclocked the card from 750Mhz/800Mhz GPU clock/Memory Clock to 700Mhz/700Mhz and the flickering only happened once in an hour. Underclocking it more and I got no more flickering, so I am pretty confused right now to be honest.

jonathan142

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Almost certain it's just flickering and not tearing, I use speedfan for the computer in general but for the video card I use the Catalyst Control Center program which comes with the drivers included on the disk packaged with the video card.