4 out of 6 GB available on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hello all, I'll get straight to the point: My bios only registers 4 of my 6gb with ram. I have made sure they're seated in the correct places, I've also switched them around and tried all combinations possible to make sure it's not a faulty stick. The funny thing is, Windows is able to notice that I have 6GBs of ram, but there it says only 4 are usable.

I'm no expert at this, so there might have been something obvious that I've missed. If further info is needed, then please ask, I'll answer as fast as I can.

I'm running on the latest BIOS available at stock clock.
CPU-Z is reporting 6GB ram installed.

These are my specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Processor : Intel Core i7 920
Memory: Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1333C9 1333 (Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB CL9 Kit w/3x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24)
Video Card: Gainward Geforce GTX 275

Memtest 86+ shows no errors, also looked for a bent pin in the CPU socket, but none available.

I found out this, however; DXDiag shows my Video card is eating up 2.7GB ram, this doesn't show in CPU-Z or the software following the Gigabyte mobo (Easy Tune 6)

Here's some screenshots of my DXDiag:
1256627721.png

What the dick is going on here?

Ignore it, its a feature allowing the video card to use system ram if needed. I do not even know how well it works, but it will not take your system ram unless it absolutely needs it(if even then, i have yet to see this effect system memory).

Check the task manager for your total memory amount.

29dblma.jpg

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

Even though BIOS also reports 4GB RAM?

I'm at work right now, so I can't view tinypic links. I'd be really glad if you could rehost the image at wowbucket.com

Thanks for your answer though.

bilbat

Splendid
DxDiag is simply wrong - and for a lot of people: google "dxdiag approx total memory" and you'll see scads of the same issues... The place to look for how much RAM is being 'lost' to video mapping is DeviceManager - View->ResourcesByType will show you this:
0134.jpg

open calculator for a little 'hex math', and you'll know...

The missing memory issue is, nine times out of ten (the tenth being a bad MOBO :( ) bent socket pins - takes a magnifying glass , a flashlight, and a careful examination; this Intel guide is aimed at the 1156, but will give you the idea:
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030850.htm

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Found a slightly bent pin, and popped it back in place. Now POST memory check is able to locate more than 6GB of ram, however, Windows still reports 6GB ram (5GB usable).

Picture:
1256812102.png

"kan brukes" means "usable" in Norwegian.

Any ideas what might cause this?

bilbat

Splendid
That's very peculiar, but not unprecedented - some folks show no display at all! First thing is to go to the memory tab of resource monitor, and see what it's showing; if it all doesn't appear there, try msconfig - click the 'boot' tab, and the advanced options - there, you can enable processor core count and memory - see what the memory adjustment allows, and reboot... ??

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

LET'S HAVE GAY BABIES! THIS WORKED!

Thanks a lot, this was a HUGE relief! :D

robe36

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Jesterhead, I have the same problem as well with this board and I'm awaiting a response from gigabyte on the fix. The issue with mine is on first boot the bios shows 4gb, but as soon as the memory shows 4gb I turn it off and then back on and it shows the proper amount of memory, 6gb. The tech had me try the beta bios again, which I couldn't remember if the memory settings were correct so I tried it again and the problem still exists. I'll call the today to see what the next step will be. It is definately a board issue, so whether it will be a fix with a bios update remains to be seen. I'm using OCZ 2000 MHz memory.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
And the other 10% of the time, its due to people buying overpriced 'overclocking' RAM that has funky timings and requires excessive voltage. Just buy the plain "Value RAM" with JEDEC timings and voltage.

robe36

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Unsure if you read my post through but as I said 4gb read by bios when first turned on. After it shows memory and i turn the pc off and then back on it shows 6gb. Works fine in windows runs overnight no glitches. If I reboot the memory stays at 6gb. If I turn it off overnight and start it the next day its shows 4gb. Unsure how long I need to shut it off for.

If it were bent pins etc, then the problem should stay. According to Gigabyte it is possible to be a bad board or even the processor since the memory controller is on the processor.

According to Intel the only solution, since there is nothing to test the processor, is to try it in another motherboard. Intel tech says processors sent back to the are destroyed and replaced with new ones. They do not test the supposedly.

bilbat

Splendid
The whole reason I posted the second pointer was that, he too, couldn't believe the symptoms could be related to bent pins; and, had I kept track, I have probably three of these sequences here (where someone refused to believe, and then found it so...), and there are a half-dozen or dozen similar on TweakTown... Check it or don't - it's your system...

robe36

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

Figured out the issue. Overclocking the memory caused the issue. When I had it at 1700MHz I could remove power from the board then apply it again and it would see 6gb everytime. The memory is rated for 2000MHz (OCZ) and I can run it at 1920MHz without any Known issues, but once the board loses power (caps discharge) it will boot up with 4gb initially until a reboot is done, which will give it 6gb. Backed down the memory speed for now, until I have more time to fool with it. BTW I set the memory to what OCZ said to set it too, which is 10-10-10-30 CR 2.

anupam_luv

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
bump....

Im having the same issue but only when I try to Overclock it above 160 BLCK... I checkd for bent pins but couldnt find any...

djstick

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
gigabyte recently launched a new version of easytune, i tried to follow several tutorials i googled but without success but it seems this new version of easytune fixes all my mixing ram issues nomatter the settings i save in bios, i also updated my bios to F13, hope this helps it worked for me, now my pc works like a charm and all my ram is detected :)

zankart

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

The Dxdiag Approximated Total Memory showed wrong is the problem from Window as I read from somewhere else.
Anyway if you say this is not the problem from Window but Dxdiag just show wrong than how can I can boost my graphic card from 768 MB to 3800 MB (Showed in Dxdiag) after reinstall my window?.

This is how I do to get 3800 MB not 768 MB:
1. Format Window.
2. Install Window.
3. Go Window Update service to install graphic card.
-> Get 3800 MB (Approximated)

This is how I get 768 MB again:
1. Format Window
2. Install Window
3. Install Graphic card driver from disc or from Internet

Also, as I tried, window vista has the same problem (tried with window vista 64bit).
I'm currently using Window 7 SP1 64 Bit
6 GB Ram(Even I installed 4 pcs 2GB). This I guess my motherboard problem.

1 more thing is found out: this Approximated Total Memory really effected my computer. As I inserted my EAH6970 before and my comp just couldn't allow me to open Areo (my approximated total memory was 370Mb as I tried to insert 2-4gb ram only)

G

Just update the bios using the @bios og gigabyte and you will be ok.
I had the same problem and it is fixed!