Sign in with
Your question

VAIO CS fan not spinning ( VGN-CS190)

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
August 12, 2009 3:42:46 AM

I have a Sony VAIO CS, its almost new & i have started to have problems with the fan :-s y just does not start, the fan just let the cpu to burn till it shuts down itself... I installed speedfan but since i have INSYDE BIOS i cant make any settings on them nor see there configuration so i cant make any changes to the fan. If I blow throw the vent(where the air goes out) it starts but for a small period of time & will not star again. If i run it in safe mode the fan spins perfectly but i don't really now if it starts by itself since y blow once. I t is really frustrating & I am really desperate...:(  Any suggestions?...:D 
August 21, 2009 1:15:22 AM

I have the same problem !!!!!!
same laptop...
email me if you found a solution 4 this... martin_be3@hotmail.com
I use speedfan to check temperature, when its 50°C I blow the fan with compressed air and it works...
thanks !!
Anonymous
August 22, 2009 2:50:54 AM

I just had my fan replaced under warranty. Same model. The guy that came out said that Sony was aware of the problem with the defective fans. I'll never buy a Sony again.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 4, 2009 8:24:59 AM

i have the same probelm. It started with making so much noise but now it has stopped working. It looks like i will have get the fan changed as well. I'm in turkey for next for couple of months and don't really trust the local guys over here ... so can anyone of you guide me on the following?

1- do i need to know something else as well before giving my PC for repair over here? Like what kind of fan should it be or which fan?
2- Roughly how much should it cost (in US for example)? [this is just to get a rough idea that the repair guy is being fair to me]
3- I don't have a warranty, if its a sony problem then can i get it claimed it anyway?
September 4, 2009 6:13:07 PM

U just have my fan replaced under warranty too... they just changed the fan yesterday and today I got my laptop again... Im very dissapointed with sony... I dont know if Im gonna buy a vaio again..

Hope everything goes well with you guys !
Anonymous
November 30, 2009 6:38:34 AM

oh freak. i have the same problem. same laptop SONY VAIO VGN_CS23G...
its really frustrating... the fan isnt working and my laptop shuts down by itself... please email me too if you found a solution... Samantotsky_10@yahoo.com
January 26, 2010 12:45:53 PM

Hi,
I too have he same problem. I bought the Sony Vaio VGN-CS190 on Jan 2009 in USA and got the annoying fan noise by Aug'09. As I am living in India, I did not get the warranty. I serviced in Sony service center by paying INR 5000. They have replaced the fan system. I am getting the same problem now after six months. I am not ready to pay another 5000 INR. I am planning to open the laptop myself and see wats wrong....
March 7, 2010 12:53:40 PM

I have the same model as well. It's a SONY Vaio CS36GJ. I thought it was the fan stuck with dust, so I opened it up and do some cleaning and indeed it was full of dust. The problem still come even though it was cleaned up. The fan does not start and it does not always happen. After a few restarts, the fan will start and the Vaio will keep on running for as long as I don't shut it down. I guess the only way to fix it is to send back for repair... I'm quite disappointed with SONY though.
Anonymous
May 8, 2010 9:44:45 AM

I have a Vaio vgn-cs320j! after 6 months the fan was completely busted! Infernal sounds and heating and shutdowns when idle. Got a fan from another laptop (TOSHIBA) placed it where the sony crappy fan used to be (needed a little tinkering) and now the fan works like a charm! still the computer shuts down at ridiculously low temps! like 55 degrees Celsius the notebook shuts down! I can't play minesweeper on this notebook without risking a shutdown! The BIOS settings are unavaileble to the common user and you actually need to hack your way to the power options and acpi and stuff like that. Boo on SONY! You got me with fair notebook configuration and awsome looks but now I swore i'll never have another sony IN MY LIFE! :pfff: 
Anonymous
July 24, 2010 4:48:33 PM

Is this a problem whit the BIOS or just the fan ?
And where can i get a new fan ?
Anonymous
August 17, 2010 3:03:07 AM

Folks the Sony Laptops are under recall and covered even if the warranty expired -- so call them and get it fixed.
January 26, 2011 1:25:23 AM

A notice from AUSTRALIAN Sony Support Site:
http://www.sony.com.au/support/announcement/340533/prod...

VAIO™ Notebooks & Computers - VGN-CS26G
Notice of warranty extension for VAIO Notebook Computer - VGN-CS series and VGN-BZ series - Updated on 20th April 2010
20-04-2010

Dear Valued Sony VAIO customers,
The notice of warranty extension for VAIO Notebook Computer - VGN-CS series and VGN-BZ series was announced last September 10, 2009. As a result of continuous analysis with the part supplier and monitoring of the market since the announcement, it turned out that some models of VAIO listed in the previous announcement may make a continuous noise while their cooling fans are revolving and same symptom may occur after the 2-year free repair period offered in the previous announcement. Therefore, Sony will offer an extension of free repair service until further notice.
In addition, please click here to check for the models not covered in the previous announcement which may exhibit the same symptom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10-09-2009

Dear Valued Sony VAIO customers,

It has transpired that some VGN-CS series and VGN-BZ series VAIO notebook computers exhibit some uncharacteristic fan noise.

Affected VAIO notebook computers may exhibit the following symptom:
- Cooling fan starts to make an unusual noise

Please click here to check the affected model list.

For affected models highlighted in this notice, Sony will offer a free repair service for two years starting from the purchase date.

Please contact the nearest Sony Service Center if your VAIO notebook computer exhibits the above-mentioned symptom.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Your understanding and cooperation on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

IF YOU STILL NEED/WISH to do it yourself, here are some dissassembly/assembly instruction for Sony Gear.

Good Luck. Silvio

August 15, 2011 4:12:58 AM

SilvioD said:
... IF YOU STILL NEED/WISH to do it yourself, here are some dissassembly/assembly instruction for Sony Gear.

http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_sony.html

Good Luck. Silvio

Hi Silvio,

I have a sony VGNCS108E model with serial no. CN102QD0T. Could be cover by warranty here in Philippines? What is the part no. of fan for this laptop?

Hope you could help.

you can email to noeldph@yahoo.com

Regards,

Noel
August 15, 2011 7:24:14 AM

noeldph said:
Hi Silvio,

I have a sony VGNCS108E model with serial no. CN102QD0T. Could be cover by warranty here in Philippines? What is the part no. of fan for this laptop?

Hope you could help.

you can email to noeldph@yahoo.com

Regards,

Noel

Hi.
Your model is not on their affected model list:
http://www.sony.com.au/support/resources/en_AU/usefulin...
...therefore it is not clear whether your model will be supported. Have in mind this covers recent purchases 2-3 years old.

I haven't got the fan No. for it - I'd suggest ringing Sony support and pretending your model is under this extended warranty and see how they react.

Assuming you have the receipt of the purchase - otherwise not much help expected.

Good luck!
!