Sign in with
Your question

Dual Hard drive config

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2010 1:17:50 PM

I have recently constructed a computer from "scratch" and I purchased two hard drives; a solid state to boot windows from, and a hard disk drive to hold everything else. The 1TB hard disk drive will show up in the motherboard's BIOS and show it's free space etc. , in Microsoft device manager it shows up, however, the statistics are nowhere to be found. When I click "my computer, it simply does not show up, only the SSD, the disc drive and a card reader that I installed. Any ideas on how to get windows to accept the drive? =======
I know it isn't the sata3 or power cables, I switched them with the other devices and they still worked. Also, the drive hums and heats up as the computer is on.

More about : dual hard drive config

a c 95 G Storage
December 29, 2010 2:12:13 PM

use the Disk Manager to partition and format it
m
l
December 29, 2010 2:23:42 PM

this is a utility application on windows 7?
m
l
Related resources
a c 139 G Storage
December 29, 2010 3:07:57 PM

Below are the steps for getting to Disk Management:

1. Click on Start
2. Cllick on Control Panel
3. Click on Administrative Tools
4. Click on Computer Management
5. Click on Disk Management (this is under Storage)
6. Right click on the unformatted drive and choose format

When formatting is complete the drive should be recognized.
m
l
December 29, 2010 3:27:41 PM

I found it, opened it, and all that shows up is my SSD, floppy and "reserved system files" none of these sporting the 1000GB of my hard drive. And it is shown in the device manager!
m
l
December 29, 2010 3:38:13 PM

When I installed windows, I only had the SSD connected, should I try reinstalling windows with the HD connected?
m
l
a c 139 G Storage
December 29, 2010 5:26:14 PM

mcookie said:
When I installed windows, I only had the SSD connected, should I try reinstalling windows with the HD connected?

Try connecting the HD without reinstalling windows. You should not have to reinstall windows just because you add another drive. After you connect the drive restart the computer and follow the steps list above to format the drive.
m
l
December 30, 2010 12:03:02 AM

i fixed it by reinstalling windows
m
l
!