Sign in with
Your question

Computer startup problem

Last response: in Components
August 12, 2009 8:24:20 AM

My config: Intel C2Q 8200 @ 2.33GHz. Intel DQ45CB with latest BIOS update. 2x1GB DDR2800MHz Kingston 500GB WD Caviar GP 500W ViP PSU Galaxy 9800GT 512 I didn't use my comp for like 20 days. After this interval, sometimes when i switch on the main power, the front panel LEDs lit up after a delay ranging from a few seconds to 10-15 minutes. There are 2 LEDs on the motherboard. In normal operation, both are lit. However, when having this delay problem, only the green one named PWR_LED is lit whereas the other red one isn't. After some delay, the red LED lights up and the computer boots normally and the system starts. The system clock keeps losing time by a few hours too. Both these problems started simultaneously. I tried changing the PSU but it didn't work. I even changed the system battery but to no avail. I think the problem lies with the front panel circuit of the cabinet but haven't tested this hypothesis yet. I bought this system in March 09 hence its pretty new.
August 12, 2009 3:31:49 PM

I would check againand replace the motherboard battery, the system clock losing time is usually related to the battery. Even if the computer is relatively new the motherboard may have been around for a while and the battery you put in may be old.
August 12, 2009 3:32:11 PM

Well, this sounds interesting.
First off...if your cmos battery did go dead then your bios settings would have gone back to factory defaults...which includes the date,time and other settinds.
Some motherboards will search for a raid arrays and hardware by default which would cause a delay before bootup.
Did you build this system or was it built by a comp store?
If it was the latter then you have to set up the bios settings again so that the motherboard "knows" your hardware configuration and the correct time and date.
You also mention the latest bios update...did you do this or the comp store? It could be a bad update as well.
Please reply...JQ
Related resources
August 12, 2009 3:34:12 PM

howardp6 said:
I would check and replace the motherboard battery, the system clock losing time is usually related to the battery. Even if the computer is relatively new the motherboard may have been around for a while.

I replaced the system battery with a new one but the problem is still there.
August 12, 2009 3:38:28 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
Well, this sounds interesting.
First off...if your cmos battery did go dead then your bios settings would have gone back to factory defaults...which includes the date,time and other settinds.
Some motherboards will search for a raid arrays and hardware by default which would cause a delay before bootup.
Did you build this system or was it built by a comp store?
If it was the latter then you have to set up the bios settings again so that the motherboard "knows" your hardware configuration and the correct time and date.
You also mention the latest bios update...did you do this or the comp store? It could be a bad update as well.
Please reply...JQ

I had built this system myself. I also updated the BIOS myself. Downloaded it from the Intel site. Its dated 24/7/2009. I understand the delay introduced by hardware detection but the system doesn't get any power i.e. the front LEDs dont lit up at all for a long while sometimes even for as long as 20 minutes. It lights up after a long while and then the computer boots, the BIOS screen and all.
August 12, 2009 3:46:49 PM

OK.. that clears some things up.
Did this do it before the bios update?
August 12, 2009 3:54:09 PM

If not then you might have a board that's decided to take an early retirement.
On you assumption of front panel trouble...you could take a multi-meter and attach the probe ends to the power leads and in "continuity" mode push the button and your meter should read 000 and make a beep (if your meter has this function).
If not then set your meter to ohms/resistance and do as above and you should get a 000 reading when pressing the power button.

Hope this helps....JQ
August 12, 2009 6:15:12 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
OK.. that clears some things up.
Did this do it before the bios update?

I had this problem before i updated the BIOS. Even updating the BIOS hasnt solved the problem.
September 7, 2009 8:32:42 PM

I have had the same problem with this board and more. The red light will blink sometimes and sometimes remain solid. It will not turn on unless I hold the button down for 3 seconds. I tried several power supplies and also removed from case to see if there was a short. Nothing fixed the issues this board was having. I would shutdown from OS, and it would shutdown, then restart for about 2 seconds and just continue to loop 2 seconds. I returned it to the supplier, and they are testing right now. Hopefully I will find something out. TTYL.

Randy
September 10, 2009 9:59:02 AM

Randy Chow said:
I have had the same problem with this board and more. The red light will blink sometimes and sometimes remain solid. It will not turn on unless I hold the button down for 3 seconds. I tried several power supplies and also removed from case to see if there was a short. Nothing fixed the issues this board was having. I would shutdown from OS, and it would shutdown, then restart for about 2 seconds and just continue to loop 2 seconds. I returned it to the supplier, and they are testing right now. Hopefully I will find something out. TTYL.

Randy

Do tell me if u find a solution to this problem. Thanks. TTYL.
April 14, 2011 5:47:59 PM

You need to open the computer case,this is commonly able by removing the left hand console of the computer, this about generally involves removing two screws from the a back of the case. After you remove the table, specify the computer on its side on a flat surface.
!